noticed that many other black cameras are sold with black chains. So

I'm curious, in my case, has the chain been replaced at some point? Is

there a place where I can buy a black chain? Also, was there ever a

known case of a fake black minox - is it possible to 're-paint' a

standard chrome body to make it black, and if so - would it be easily

noticeable?

"<cite>was there ever a known case of a fake black minox</cite>"

<P>

There were/are many cases of fake black Bs. Many of the lesser fakes are easy to detect but there are many "better" fakes around.

<P>

"<cite>is it possible to 're-paint' a standard chrome body to make it black, and if so - would it be easily noticeable?</cite>"

<P>

Some of the lesser grade fakes are nearly that and they are noticeable.. Has not stopped them from appearing in many collections and going to the block in some of the more prestigious camera auction houses.... As a general "rule of thumb".. if the camera looks to be in mint condition as "too good to be true" its typically "too good" and hardly true...

• 3 weeks later...

The black chain of the orignal black Minox B is black paint on a brass chain. The flexing of the chains soon lead to chipping and so most chains look heavily used. The chrome chains do not have this problem until they ARE heavily used.

With the introduction of the Minox C and Minox stopped making black chains. The next camera to have a black chain was the EC and TLX. A new technique of costing means that these are hard wearing.

The case on the B and C/BL/LX cameras are different. The fixing to teh camera/case means that the length is different and so the nodes/notches in the chain are at the correct distance.

Some Minox A cameras where made black as a post Minox production. Black Minox A where made in limited numbers and at a small premium when they where introduced. Of the few black B cameras the finish is glossy and not matt like on a black C, BL or LX. Some of these have "wear" and even that is different to "wear" on a Minox C. The fake black/gold camera has a gold finish on aluminium. All Minox B in gold where brass. The black parts look like the Model C. These were genuine Minox parts and may have been made in the factory like that, not intented for sale, not officially approved and built up outside the 'factory gate'.

The black ME2 seen a number of times for sale seem to have been black for many years. I have yet to find a price list with a black ME2 electronic flash on it.

I am much happer if the original packaging also says black and unless the label was unmarked as it left the factory any alterations would be easy to see on the box.

Gerald