dental fixer??

Hi!

OK, stupid question of the day...

I ran out of fixer. Instead of packing up my 2 year olds and 4 year

old and dragging them through the local photo shop while hoping they

dont break anything and paying vastly inflated prices, can I use my

husbands dental xray fixer from work? It is Kodak Readymatic Dental

Fixer and replenisher, at 14% Ammonium Sulfite and 1-5% Acetic Acid.

Is this a crazy idea? Would I ruin my film? Would I have to fix for

a longer time?

Probably fine. What Al said.

I feel for you with the kids. Remember that you can always mail order things like fixer and have it delivered to your door in just a day or three.

My last remaining camera store doesn't like to stock mundane things like fixer, so I end up ordering a years supply at a time from Badger Graphic:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/BADGERS%20CATALOG/9.pdf

I'm sure there are a number of other sources as well.

You know what? Fixer is fixer. There are basically two kinds, the rapid type based on Ammonium thiosulfate and the more traditional Sodium thiosulfate type. Among the rapid type fixers, some are alkaline and some are acidic. All of them work, with the rapid type being, well, more rapid in action. Looks to me like the dental x-ray fixer is one of the rapid type formulations. If that's what I had available, that's what I would use without hesitation. Fix for twice the amount of time it takes an undeveloped piece of similar film to clear and all will be just fine. This stuff ain't rocket science folks.

If it fixes X-ray film (which is sensitized with silver halides, just like the film we use) it'll fix Tri-X or Fomapan or any other silver-based B&W camera film. And it'll probably do it *fast*, even at room temeprature, because X-ray processing makes mini-lab C-41 look pokey. When the doctor orders X-rays *stat* she doesn't mean she wants to wait a half hour to read wet film. Polaroid got out of the X-ray film business a while back because their process was too slow to compete with the much cheaper 2-3 minute automated processing of "conventional" x-ray films.

So yes, X-ray fixer should work fine. Don't use X-ray developer, though, unless you have a reliable way to get your film covered, agitated, drained, and stopped in under three minutes at room temperature (and don't mind huge grain and very high contrast).

Y'know, Donald, those characteristics you described about X-ray developer for photographic film sounds perfect for what some folks have been asking for recently. They *want* huge grain and high contrast. I'll have to remember that tip.

Anyway to get X-ray developer if you're not in the medical profession?

Thank you all for the advice. I used the Readymatic fixer and it seems to have been fine. I

did check with a piece of leader and it cleared OK in about 3 minutes, so I fixed for 6

minutes. I developed 3 rolls of film today, one IR750c, which came out normally for me,

one Tmax 400 120mm, which came out badly, not sure where my problem is, this was my

first Holga roll of b&w home developed, could be camera, who knows! And one roll of

Tmax 100 which I had laying around in my darkroom, I dont remember what I had on it,

but there's nothing now! I have no idea what happened there! Aaargh! You know, for

someone who used to work in a chemistry lab, this lack of skill and understanding is

awfully frustrating and fairly humiliating, LMAO! Strangely, I am still hopeful! :)

Jen