Wanting to do Raw for weddings but not able to upload from Canon 20D

elaine marie

I am wanting to start shooting raw for my weddings and want to give myself ample

time before trying this out.I had asked about raw before and got a few answer

such as using the software that came with my Canon 20D. Today I load both the

Digital photo Pro and the veiwer utility software and did just what it said.

Took a few pics in raw but can not get the files to open. Any one using the

canon soft ware that can help me I would greatly appreciate it. I know alot of

you on here use the canon 20D. Thank you

I have been using RAWS for about a year. After hearing of issues with Cannon's own software I turned to Phase One's Capture programme. I find this very good once you get used to it. It has lots of features that such as 'blown highlight' warning, the usual curves and levels meta data display and a magnifier for checking out sharpness over the image. I use Photoshop 7 not CS so you may want to take advice from someone who uses CS if you have it. I think using RAWS is much better personally for weddings than JPEGS. Best of Luck !

As others have stated, use a card reader. They are about $20, and very well worth it. I use Breezebrowser to convert RAW images. It is a great browser and RAW converter. And, I think it's about $50. Here's how I use it. I take the CF card out of the camera and put it in the card reader. Then I open Breezebrowser, and the card reader looks like just another drive on the computer. I then copy the RAW files to a hard disk. Again in Breezebrowser, I select the ones I want to convert to either jpegs or to tifs.

I can convert them all at once, or one at a time. If I convert a batch, I get it started then go do something else. BB allows me to adjust exposure, WB, saturation, contrast, sharness and more. I can also resize the image(s). This is great when I want to convert a bunch of RAW files to low-res jpegs to upload to a photo gallery.

Give it a try. I think you'll like it. And I don't work for BB.

Phil