Hi all,

I have a problem with some of my negatives that were processed by a

pro-lab - there is a whitened area on some frames. They are

approximately in the same location on all the affected frames - just

above image center. But not all frames on a roll are affected. The

problem has occured on both color and b&w film. All the affected

rolls were processed on the same day.

Camera: Mamiya 6

Film: Kodak 400NC, 400VC, Fuji Reala, Kodak BW400CN (all 120 format)

Questions:

1. Is it a camera light leak problem?

2. Could it be a leaking dark slide curtain on the body? (used when

changing lenses)

3. Is it a lab processing problem?

Samples can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/8y4y2

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Nick,

I looked at the photos and my gut tells me it's something in your camera.

Shoot another roll. Change lenses every 3 frames. Send the film to a different lab. If the white banded area is there then it is your camera that needs repair.

Hi, if your light seals need replacing you can do it yourself, buy a repair kit online for $10 : jgood1967@aol.com

I repaired the light seals on my Fujig690bl. I repelaced the foam on the camera door as usual, but also added foam on the camera back, since there was a groove there for it, as on a Nikon f4, it gives twice the normal protection from light, dust, rain.

Cheers.

Steve,

I thought about that but it's a Mamiya 6 with LEAF shutters in each lens and a blocking curtian to shield the film when changing lenses.

The light area has a definate straight horizontal line area to it. Impossible to do with a leaf shutter. But the blocking curtain might be leaking light in the same area, which could cause a horizontal image.

I also use a Mamiya 6. I would think that if it was a curtain leak, it would be in almost

exactly the same place since the curtain is pretty close to the film plane. Try putting the

curtain in place, remove the lens and open the back. With a strong light source shining in

from the front, you should be able to see any holes sufficient to cause such a large

washout area. Another possibility might be a bellows leak, although this seems unlikely.

Another possibility I can quickly think of: the back is not closing properly. The definite

horizontal aspect of the washout is puzzling. Another idea is to advance the film after an

exposure, draw the curtain, remove the lens and again shine a strong light source into the

camera for say about 30sec. Put the lens back on, leave the lens cap in place, click the

shutter and check that frame after development. Doing this for 3 frames should help

isolate if the problem is with your camera. Good luck.

Shaughn

Guys,

Thanks for your advice. I sent the samples to the local Mamiya distributor and the technician said it's probably a light leak. I'll take it to them with the lenses for them to have a look at.

I bought the body and one lens from KEH, the other 2 lenses locally.

KEH has a 60 day warranty, but I'd have to send the body back to them and pay for shipping both ways (I think). So if I can get it fixed it for not much more than shipping it to KEH, I'd rather get it fixed here. KEH might just send me another body with other potential problems!

Cheers,

Nick.