Canon EOS 6.3 Mp Digital Rebel on Sale (why?)

Office Max just announced a price reduction on the EOS 6.3Mp Digital

Rebel; from $999.98 to $799.98. I am suspicious that since Canon

has begun to produce full size CMOS sensors that these cameras with

the APS size sensors will become obsolete. Nevertheless, I am

tempted to make the plunge.

I am not yet a digital expert, but use a 4.0 Mp Canon Powershot S45

and enjoy it quite a bit. I have always been a film guy, and have

Mamiya Medium format, and Nikon and Leica 35mm equipment. I take

family, business, people groups, landscape and snapshot pictures as

a hobby.

Question: Would some of you experts recommend the Digital Rebel to a

retired guy like me, or let it pass? Your advice is welcome.

Thanks...

Jack

Jack, The Digital Rebel 6.3MP camera has already been superseded by a 8MP Digital Rebel XT. Late last year, the price you are seeing now was available on the original Digital Rebel as rebates were in effect. The $799 is not such a great deal as retailers are trying to clear stock. That said, the original Digital Rebel is a great camera. If you have the computer power and large hard drive and are willing to spend an extra $100 or so on memory cards, it would still be an excellent choice. But perhaps you'll find a better deal elsewhere. Amazon, for example has it for $739.94 including the kit lens (free shipping, no tax). The 8MP Digital Rebel XT is also less than $1000.

Canon has not yet begun to produce full sized sensors at low cost. The only full size sensor camera produced by Canon is the 1Ds and 1Ds Mk II (the latter selling for $7999 USD. The 6.3 MP Digital Rebel probably went on sale due to the release of the new Rebel 350D or Rebel XT. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to take advantage of this sale as the Digital Rebel is a fine camera at an excellent price.

As a Pentax user I feel free to start the 2541st Canon vs. Nikon war. Shouldn't you prefer a D70 to use your old lenses with a handheld meter? - Just a thought... I don't blame the 300D for nothing and it's always been my 1st advice to anybody asking me what he or she should buy.

OfficeMax is a lousy place to get camera prices or information. Be sure to check

reputable camera outfits like adorama.com or bhphoto.com or keh.com for the latest

prices. Also consult camera-related sites like dpreview.com and stevesdigicams for the

latest news and reviews.

As has already been noted, a new 8MP Rebel has come out, while Canon has retained

the older Rebel at a lower price... and lower than OfficeMax's price.

Good advice. Thanks. ...and Jochen, Thank you for mentioning the C vs N "Wars." I already have three Nikon lenses; so the D70 would be a better deal in order to be able to use my existing Nikon lenses. Now, why didn't I think of that? "Senior moment" I guess.

The answer to my "Why?" question is the same as in computers. Something new comes out almost before you can get the existing model home.

And, yes I am careful of what dealerships to patronize. I see some ridiculously low prices by some dealers to be avoided. I prefer B&H, and have had good service from them.

The advice from all of you is helpful. Thank you!

Jack

In some of the Walmarts in the midwest I went thru last week while traveling; the older EOS 6.3Mp Digital Rebel 300 with kit zoom has a red tag sale price of 750 bucks. Some of these smaller Walmarts have never even had a DSLR before; and it was just unknown item; like from Mars; sent from another store or district; to flush the older models out. These stores never even had one on display; it was just a red tagged sale item; locked up along with mess of old P&S film cameras; marked down 50 to 70 percent. One Minolta AF zoom lens was 39 bucks; from a regular discounted price above one hundred. The bizzare thing is that nobody in the Walmart "photo dept"? knew what the Drebel kit was; "just a fire sale item" to sell off.

Speaking of previous generation bodies selling for cheap, Sam's Club is selling the 10D, new, for $899. You can get it from Samsclub.com. Not a bad deal for the johny-come-lately crowd, especially if you like the robust 10D body over the lighter plastic bodies of today's other sub-$1K DSLR bodies.

One of the best things about the digital process is having everything regarding the pictures creation right there in the image data for educational and historical purposes. I can remember trying to carry a pad and pencil and noting focal length, shutter speed, aperture, compensation used, etc.. One of the other great parts of these new wonder machines are the great exposure systems. You still need to have the knowledge in many cases to use it correctly, but being able to concentrate more on composition than whether my exposure meter is set for the correct ISO as set for the camera sensor, or making sure I transferred all my settings correctly from meter to the camera is more than worth the added expense of using lenses that not only fit the mount but take advantage of the other half of the cameras capabilities.

The Digital Rebel being reduced in price is nothing more than we see with all digital cameras nearing the end of their production life. The last thing you can take from it's price reduction is that full-frame sensors are getting cheap to make, unless $8,000 for a digital full-frame camera is cheap in your world. If that's the case, the last thing you need to be worrying about is whether you can mount your AI manual focus Nikkor on a D70.

Thanks, all for the information. I am seriously thinking of the Nikon D70. There is a $200 rebate that ends in 2 more days. I have one additional question:

I have three zoom lenses,and a Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF. One Nikon AF Zoom lens, and two Sigma AF UC zoom lenses. All focus automatically on my Nikon N2020. Will the D70 autofocus these lenses? ...or must I focus manually with the D70. The answer to this question may be the deciding factor. Thank you in advance for any advice or comment.

Jack

Your AF Nikkors will AF. The Sigma's should too, although you'll just need to try & see to be sure. There may be some flash features you miss unless those are "D" type AF Nikkors & Sigma lenses. My knowledge of Nikon's flash system ended with the F5.

Thanks to all for the advice.

I also reviewed the complete info on the N D70 at www.dpreview.com. Convinced that the D70 will do even more than I have considered, I just ordered the kit, and now am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Now, I will post a few of my many film cameras for sale on the appropriate forum. I have 35mm, Med format and 4X5 more than I use.

Jack