"Most pros use film"

seb v.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all this "what do the pros" use, I keep wondering about the engineers that would be working on improving the equipment. I think that most modern engineers now get lots of schooling in digital signal processing and digital circuit design, and much less in analog design. Pretty soon it will be as dificult to find an analog capable engineer as it is now to find a Fortran programmer. Digital will keep improving, I don't think we can say the same about analog. (Sure there are still really good tube amplifiers, if you can still find the tubes. Remember that audiophile argument: tubes are better?) As was mentioned before, who is working on improving the film or the chemicals? Who is still printing in a 100% wet-lab environment?<br>

It seems to me that almost all the printing of film is now done by scanning the film into digital, then printing the result. Eventually the scanbacks and the CCDs in digital cameras will surpass our ability to scan film, which requires the extra step of the film medium. This seems just a matter of time. But perhaps the real debate is, "has this time arived yet"? Clearly not for everyone, but already for some.