Case for Calumet 4x5

red_jenny

Having come into possession of TWO cc400 Calumet cameras, I am now

considering building a box for them. The old fiber-board box from

Calumet won't suffice and I don't want to spend a lot. None of the

Pelikan-type boxes have the right dimensions. So I am considering

building the boxes of either plywood or pvc sheets.

Anyway, I plan on padding the interior very well. I was considering

using neoprene foam (like on wetsuits) but I am concerned about out-

gassing from the foam and consequences for the optics. Does anyone

have any suggestions as to padding material, or case construction in

general?

I just lined a case for my 8x10 using Upolstrey contact cement . It will not disolve foam or synthetic fabric.....) I used Gortex fabric on the inside.......You only coat one side and apply the fabric dry to the case.....and it is sticky enough for the job....... If I were to do it over, I would just buy or retrofit a case.......I would not use neopreen or foam except for shipping and then I would cut sheets and place it into the case, but a fabric liner is nice..... Out gasing may be a problem and it may also attack the bellows of the camera........ I have a Case for a older Calumet that I would sell for $65....I could send dimensions if there is any intrest.....John Cremati

I have a Calumet monorail that has a Calumet brand case, is stored upside down in the case. It's relatively light, made out of some type of hard plastic, lined with egg-crate looking foam. If you're near a bigger city, check for a foam store, we have one in seattle that has all kinds of products (as well as HOme Depot, etc.)

I'm a woodworker also, and I can tell you a plywood case will be heavier than the case I have. check calumet website dont know if they are still selling this case, or i can send you some digital pics if you want

Sterlite and Rubbermaid make plastic tubs with lids. I use a Sterlite for my Toyo monorail. I built a simple plywood support for the rail which holds the camera off the bottom. Then I have foam pads in strategic places. The tub holds film holders, lenses, the focusing cloth and a filter case in addition to the camera. This is convenient for the car trunk or back of the truck. The lid simply snaps on and off, and it has handy molded grips on each end.

JF<div>00BwOc-23032984.JPG.bc2162c18db337a6b6ea8e008b3d8403.JPG</div>

John - I just signed on as a new member after winning a Calumet 4X5 on eBay. That case you have for sale, I'd like to know more, becuase I need one badly. Width, mostly I guess, to see if this Calumet of mine would store in it with the rail it's on. Tom (hooyadadi@aol.com)