robert_davis7

Hello, I've noticed a problem with my battery charger for the BP-511

batteries used in the EOS 10D. After a day of shooting, I go to

recharge the exhausted battery and once i mount the battery the

charger quickly cycles from 50% to 75% to 100% in a few seconds. It

essentially is telling me the battery is recharged, but when I

dismount it and pop it in the camera, it's still exhausted. Has anyone

seen this before? thanks!

Robert, I had this problem with two after market batteries, so I don't use them anymore. Never had problems with Canon ones (have three). Maybe the battery has reached its end of life? Has it been used extensively? Has it been dropped? Damaged? etc?

Robert,

Sounds like a dead battery. I had one of those once, also a 3rd party battery, but for the price of $20 here in Australia compared to a Canon one at $150, I can take the risk.

I have other (5 actually !) 3rd party batteries and they work like a dream and the higher power allowed me to shoot until I turn blue in the face !

wm

I have 5 batteries... one Canon, that charges normally taking variable lengths of time to recharge depending on it's condition of discharge. Then I have (4) non-Canon BP511's which came with a BGED3 grip I bought used. All of them go to a solid charge light in about 4 seconds. Guess I should throw them away. I'll stick with real Canon batteries when I buy some more.

Have you tried removing and replacing the battery into the charger several times in a row? I had to do that on several occasions with a Canon battery to get the charger to recognize the actual state of discharge.

Nobody mentioned cleaning all of the contacts involved with a pencil eraser. Maybe it's nothing more than some surface corrosion?

HEYYY, I just did it, and guess what, it worked! I cleaned the battery with an eraser, then installed it in the charger. It did the 50, 75, 100 thing but then I removed it and put it in again, and now it's the triple blink and it appears to be working. Weird, I did the remove re-install before, but it didn't work then. Anyway, thanks Brian! Now I know and knowing is half the battle! ^_^

I second the cold theory. I shoot in ice arenas all year long, and use 8 sets of batteries (16). They seem to show discharged in the camera much quicker in the cold, and show fully charged very quickly in the charger which is sitting out exposed to the cold. When I get them home, I recharge all of them, and the charge time is MUCH slower. Someone needs to invent a battery warmer for shooting in the cold. Yes, I know I can put them in my pockets, but that many batteries is uncomfortable.