How do you get over the hesitation to take pictures of people in public places?

jlobb

I want to do some more street photography, but I'm always really

hesitant to take pictures of just random people who may or may not

know they're having their picture taken. Maybe I'm affraid that

they'll think I'm stalking them or something and try to kick my ass.

does anybody else struggle with this? or how did you get over it?

john, what the others said. the nike slogan is for street photographers.

if you tip-toe around and be sneaky, people will sense it, become more suspicious and

then you're more likely to get your ass kicked. i know, sneaking around got my ass kicked

twice. one thing that worked for me at the beginning was convining myself that i wasn't

actually taking a picture of the subjects themselves. using a wide lens i told myself that i

was taking the whole scene and the main subject was actually 'in the way'. that kinda

polarised my attitude as to how i 'felt' about the subject. lock onto your subject, focus

and frame but 'think' background....

Here's a small suggestion, something quite easy and successful as an ice breaker, in my

experience anyway. (Feel free to discard.) Look for couples holding hands, approach and

say, "I'm shooting a series on people holding hands. Can I take your picture?" I have

never had anyone deny this request. Apparently, peoples feel safe because they're a

couple, honored, whatever. Shoot their hands and then work around and get whatever

shots you might like. Allow these shoots to play out, offering prints, whatver. These

experiments will give you some experience shooting "random people" (not quite sure what

that means) and you can then decide if this kind of work fits with your photographic and

world views, aspirations, etc.

My own street work is still piss poor but sometimes I think I'm learning. If you develop

other techniques, please share them with us.

Think of it as your job. Go about it with a business like attitude, be up front, if you think

the situation could get you hurt, ask permission and shoot freestyle while you're asking,

(hold the camera like your waiting but just click away) - nobody will suspect you if you

aren't trying to hide something. <br>

I'm not big or mean looking and I've never gotten my ass kicked (knock, knock), most

people seem to think I'm doing something I'm supposed to be

doing, like a plumber working on some pipes, that's what he does and nobody asks

questions.

Andrew, LOL :)

Johnatan, think of it as of safari, with people on the street being animals in their habitat. At a zoo you aware that lions and monkeys are wathching you, but it is unlikely to cause you much discomfort.

Eugene Zaikonnikov , apr 20, 2005; 03:34 a.m.

Andrew, LOL :) said: "Johnatan, think of it as of safari, with people on the street being animals in their habitat. At a zoo you aware that lions and monkeys are wathching you, but it is unlikely to cause you much discomfort."

Yes, but at the zoo there are bars... big... thick... heavy... bars between "them" and "you." ;-) LOL

Hunter

Gin.

Look a little crazy. I've found far fewer people mess with me with a few days stubble and

my Misfits skull shirt.

I've also found that people react with a lot more hostility to my big black modern pro

camera (1dsII) than to my even bigger--but old and funky looking--Mamiya Universal.

I've the same worries and concerns as the op and chose to start learning at 'safe' places such as a light rail station next to a hospital, a coffee shop and surrounding shopping area, and a large bookstore; planned are places like the farmer's market, some of the museums around town, one or two of the larger, safer public parks, not sure what else yet. Use a lens that lets you feel 'safe' (I'm getting away with using a 35-70mm zoom) and use the background to study and set up shots as was suggested already. But most important, if you look like you know what you're doing and that you belong in the situation people automatically assume you're doing your job. Carry a small notebook and use it to obviously annotate rolls, etc., mumble alot, etc. Showing fear only induces fear in others. Be aware of your surroundings, look friendly, professional as possible depending on need, etc., and you'll be surprised, as I certainly was, at how nonexistent people's concerns really are. And don't expect to make a lengthy photo essay out of one person, a few shots after working the nearby and surrounding background makes it seem as if pictures being taken of them are part of an overall photo study in progress and not something focusing on them alone. Taking close-in portraiture of homeless people wandering alleyways at night however strikes me as a good way to get struck oneself. No clue how anyone finds the guts to do things like that.

The more you do it the easier it becomes -- sometimes. It all depends on how I feel that day. If I sense hostility I back off. Some times I will just jump in and ask a few individuals if it is ok to photograph them. Once I establish that I "belong" there (there is where ever I am shooting) I take a few more liberties. Some folks will want to know why you want to photograph them and fear that their picture will end up on some web site. Others just say yes and they seem to understand what street photoraphy is all about without saying a word.