Newbie home developer, need pointers

Hi,

I'm going to start developing my 35mm and 120 B/W film here at home.

I've been searching around trying to find a good web resource that

describes the process, which developers for certain effects, film

choices, and necessary materials (bags, reels, tanks etc.). But I

haven't found anything very helpful yet.

Could someone point me in the right direction?

I don't have a darkroom at home, and plan on doing this in the

bathroom, and then using my scanner (4870 or 4990 Epson) for importing

the pictures into Photoshop. I've been using Tri-X 400 and liking what

I get out of it, but I need to be able to process the film myself.

Everything comes back from the labs with dust and scratches.

I'd appreciate any tips on which films and techniques are easiest for

guys just starting out with home development.

Thanks, Derek

Derek, to start with check out these two pages. The Kodak link goes directly to their film processing page. The Ilford link goes to their products page, then click on the link to "Processing Your First Black & White Film".

<p>

Tri-X is a good film to start with, so if you already like it just stick to it 'til you decide you need something else.

<p>

<a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/aj3/aj3.jhtml">Kodak processing page</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html">Ilford page</a>

Important factor is temperature control. I've tried developing film in our first floor laundry room, but it's cold in the winter and warm in the summer. Summer, the tap water doesn't get below 70 degrees (F). Yes, I know I can use ice or heated water, but when there's a large differential between the bath temperature and the room ambient temperture ( which includes working surfaces), keeping chemicals at 68 degrees (F) is tough.

If your bathroom has better temperture control than laundry room, you'll find developing Tri-X pretty straightforward. As for myself, I'm using York Labs mail order until I can build a proper darkroom in a better location.

Ilford is a good place to start, try <A HREF="http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/Film%20Hobbyist.PDF">this link</A>. <A HREF="http://www.darkroomsource.net/index.shtml">Darkroom Source</A> is also a good place to visit. <p>

<p>

Developing is fairly easy as long as you keep it consistent. To keep the temperature steady, I use a large sink in my kitchen filled with 20?C water, or 19?C water in summer. I put all the working-solution chemicals in tightly-capped vessels and a bottle of distilled water in there for half an hour, and just check the temperature of all chemicals before I start developing. Obviously, the larger sink the more stable the temperature. With my sink, I have no problem keeping all chemicals and water for wash within 0.5?C throughout the process. I always use fresh developer and keep an eye on the freshness of stop bath and fixer, and I mix my chemicals from distilled water.

<p>

<p>

Selection of film and developer is a matter of personal preferences. You cannot go wrong with D-76 for your Tri-X. For wash, I use the water from the sink and Ilfotol mixed in distilled water.

<p>

<p>

You can also find plenty advice in the B&W forum here on photo.net

<p>

<p>

M.

What you will need to set up a develop and scan (which is what I do)

1) Daylight tank (Patterson is what I use).

2) Changing bag (I have a large one, which is nice).

3) Gradiant to measure chemicals.

4) chemicals.

5) measureing dropper (got mine for free at a pharmacy).

6) a few misc things, such as Sissors, bottle opener, a place to hang film to dry.

7) a scanner.

8) some jugs to hold chemicals till you use them.

Sure I am forgetting one or two things, that someone else will point out to you.

Martin -- Your temperature control method would probably work very well for me, but I am unfortunately banned from the kitchen sink (even though it is used freely for potting plants for the damned garden, but that's another story).

Derek -- good luck; nothing like seeing your first (or second) rol of film coming out well.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have started not long time ago and it was easy. The biggest problems I had: 1. scratching negs - I use Jobo thing to remove excess of water - stopped doing this, just hang to dry 2. dryng negs - sometimes I had streaks on color negs which were very persistent, spoiled one nice photo. This one was difficult, but someone here pointed to me that they were no drying marks, only not enough developer marks. You have to be carefull how much dev you put in the tank. I use Jobo 1520 tank, good for 2x135 or 2x120 but when full. When half full for rotary processing (I do color in Jobo rotary CPE) it is not enough. 3. Another problem is time issue - look if your chemistry is still ok. I use special gas, but still be careful.

Finally: it is fun, results are muuuch better than from best lab, it is also fast and cheap. Good luck!