Which Leicas Hold Up Their Value?

paul_chan4

I'll wager that the few IIIg cameras equiped with "M" mounting aren't doing too bad! Weren't there some 90mm Noctiluxes made?

In the digital era, it is hard to predict film camera values. The fewer of a thing there is out there, the more likely it'll achieve cult status.

I have an old Royal Standard Model typewriter that never dies. It would probably cost $3K to build these today. But with changes in technology, you can't give these away!

Generally speaking, the current crop of commemorative and special edition Leica cameras and lenses are not good investments in terms of holding their values and appreciating over time. The reason is that they have made too many of each variety; and the number of varieties is mind boggling.

My regular black M7 has held its value pretty well but only because I paid $ 2350 new USA (which was the original issue price) and they have raised the price several times until it reached $ 3500 new with USA passport. If you buy a new M7 at the current price level, it will not hold its value very well because the price is at its peak and will surely come down. The same thing goes for all current lenses.

The moral of the story is that, as others have stated, you should buy Leicas to use and not as an investment.

If there's a younger audience who still regard Leica as something really elite, and who grew up around digital cameras, then what better alternative for them than one of Leica's iconic mechanical film bodies like the IIIa, IIIc, IIIf, M3 and M2? Mostly common items, but they really say "Leica". You never know: Some old technologies have enduring appeal even with an audience too young to remember when they were everyday things: Vacuum tubes, vinyl LPs, fountain pens, mechanical wristwatches, etc.

Electronic models, probably not. Electronics are dirt-common today and probably will continue to be so. So the retro appeal is kind of tenuous. And if I were going to start collecting SLRs, I'd be buying Nikons first, maybe Canons also.

Most of the commemorative models are lousy investments IMO, because of the initial premium they carry, and the usually somewhat obscure thing being commemorated. Maybe they should have made a Snoopy edition: Everyone loves Snoopy.

I tried to take a picture with a stock certificate once, and it didn't turn out very well - low contrast, low saturation, fringing in the corners. But I could probably sell my CL for at least 50% more than I paid for it new. And oh, the pictures it's taken in 30 years being knocked around!

FWIW: I paid 425 GBP for a mint M2 3 years ago; now it is "worth" 499 GBP or thereabouts ... However, I'd probably not be able to sell it for much more than I paid .... In the meantime a savings account would have paid around 5% (67 GBP) interest p.a. gross - wow!

But, for 3 years I have actually been able to use my M2, and polish it, etc: I would not have been able to use money locked up in a bank account, let alone get to play with it when I wanted to.

And my best investment ever? A 'plain-jane' Girard-Perregaux wristwatch bought for only 10 GBP: current insurance valuation is around 3000 GBP! Good investment? No, just amazingly good luck: very few people have heard of Girard-Perregaux, but every muppet on earth has heard of Rolex and Leica, etc, and will be inclined to over-value them, now and forever ...

• 1 year later...
I began using leica m`s in th early 80`s,(m3, and a set of four old lenses) I have never made a dime in photography, but was so worried about digital boom in the early 90's that instead of invest my money (little money), I begun buying m bodies and lenses until 2002 when I broke my credit card buying a 35'lux asph, now, after seven bodies and more than fifteen lenses, I hardly have time to snap a picture, wish I could change some leicas for film or free time, leicas IMOO are not a good investment, maybe in the hands of Tamarkin, not in mine. Saludos