24-70 f/2.8 L Image quality

denny_kyser

I am considering getting this lens for family portraits and

weddings. I have been using primes but this seems to be a better

choice for fast changing siturations. For those who use them, is the

image quality as good or close too what I am getting from the primes?

My bodies are 10D and 20D.

This is the best general purpose zoom lens period. It is sharp, the zoom range is useful, the built quality is excellent, CA is well controlled on digital cameras, this is the must have lens for all Canon shooters, I don't use my 35 f1.4 anymore after I got this one, but for portraits, I think the 70-200 L(anyone of them) are better, it gives you more blur in the background and tighter shots. The 28-70L is the lens that made me jump from Nikon to Canon.

'this seems to be a better choice for fast changing situations."

This is the right reason for getting the 24-70.

Image quality is arguably better than any of the Canon f/2.8 primes that I have

in this range. The only primes I carry at the same time in the same focal

length range with this lens are either the 50/1.4, 28/1.8. Sometimes 2.8 just

isn't fast enough. Color and saturation with the 24-70 is excellent, IMO. If I

had to take one lens to a wedding, this would be it.

My wife and I shoot weddings with the 10D & 20D. The 24 - 70l is kept on the 20D with the exception of a bride/groom shot when I change to the 85L. The 10D is interchanged with the 16 - 35l and the 135L. These combinations cover all that we need.

The 24 - 70L is a good lens but you can see the difference between the primes, but for the punter they are quite happy to accept it because the quality is close to the prime. Moreover, we explain to the bride/groom the advantages/disadvantages of the lenses that we use and produce a minimum of 120 proofs for them to choose from.

Basically the 24 - 70L is a great versitle all purpose walk amongst them style lens. In a controlled situation (especially portraits)I prefer the primes and use my feet because in my view the difference in quality is there and you can get some great DOF.

The 24 - 70l gets a lot of work because of its flexibilty but I always complement this lens with the primes at my disposal and I would not use the 24 - 70L in isolation.

I hope this helps?

Richard