Hi to all. I had a chance to use the Sigma 500 F4.5 HSM, the current

model, and was really happy with the results, to the point I would

like to buy one. I can only afford a used one, and have found there

is a precedent model "AF APO 500 4.5" which can be had for less. It

lacks HSM but what about the optics? Does aybody know if it is the

same optically?

Thank you,

Marco

Lepp had a review with this lens in his old Nature Photography magazine. He found it very acceptable and even had the ability to take 'professional photos' with a 1.4X Tamron (Kenko) TC.

I have it in Pentax mount. Mind you there are two versions, the 77mm filter size and the 72mm filter size. I have the later I believe Lepps review was of the 77mm filer size. Optically mine is a fine lens, build wise it is not. It is very fragile and I have had a couple of issues with it. Mind you it is very light and likely the most hikable 400mm around.

"I have it in Pentax mount. Mind you there are two versions, the 77mm filter size and the 72mm filter size". Doug, might you be referring to a different lens than the 500 F4.5 (maybe the 400mm). There's no provision for a front filter on the 500 (only rear dropin) and if there was it would be huge, perhaps in the neighborhood of 125mm.

I bought the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 HSM model a few months ago. Only complaint I have with it is the lenshood! (The knob attaching it to the lens came loose - now just returned from repair under warranty). Very sharp and fast focusing. Mine will not autofocus, however, with a 1.4x Kenko Pro converter with a Canon EOS 33 (Elan 7). Overall, very pleased with the purchase.

• 1 year later...