dennison bertram

Hey guys, I put up an article on my website over at www.digihack.net

about how you can use a palm pilot, or a regular universal remote,

instead of the D70 IR remote to trip the D70 Shutter. It seems like

it's pretty hard to find or are in short supply. So this works quite

well in place of the actual remote.

www.digihack.net

-dennison

This perhaps is 3rd report on photo.net about successful programming of TV type remote infrared controller to trigger D70. Nobody provided yet the code number for D70.

Remote controllers are programmed by a 3 digits code. It takes time to try step through testing all codes to discover the right one for D70.

Has anyone made an observation what the Infrared control code number works for D70?

Knowing that code would allow direct entry to program a remote control, without the need to discover. Also would allow to purchase a remote controller that will work for sure.

Nikon original remote controller is a small device, size of about a US quarter coin, and is easy to loose it.

Not a D70 user, but I set a remote up for a friend. You can use the "Pobo prc" remote on the D70. It is about the size of a remote car starter. I have a couple around that I use with TV and cable box. It has 2 buttons that control each device. To program, you just point at device, after a 2 button setup command, and hold the button in until the device is activated. It keeps sending out a signal until the right one is being used. The BEST part about this remote.......you can get them online....2 for $15.00!!!!! They will work with a ton of stuff!! If anyone has questions, post or email and I will try to help you out. Peace, Bill

"Has anyone made an observation what the Infrared control code number works for D70?"

Dennison's article mentions the code 182, that would be a good starting point. Personally I

would like to use a palm for this, since I carry one anyway, now all I need is the D70! (or

20D)

At $20-$25 for the actual remote, this doesn't seem like such a big deal. As for the Palm Pilot, remember the IR range is VERY limited. I wouldn't expect it to work beyond 2-3ft.

My wife didn't know the difference between a D100 and a D70 last Christmas, so I've got a D70 remote that's useless to me if anyone wants to buy one CHEAP.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I got it right using the PDAWin v5.5 universal remote software on my iPaq. I programmed my universal remote to code 0332 (Sony VCR) then put the software on the PDA into learn mode, pressed the play button on the universal remote and VOILA! Now I have two remotes that fire the D70.

Your wrong about the distance being very short with a palm pilot. The beam is strong enough to use it over a very large distance. It's effective enought that I can trigger the d70 by firing the remote from behind the camera and having the beam bounce of the subject and back at the camera. Pretty nice. -dennison www.digihack.net

• 6 months later...
Just read the posts above talking about universal remotes and decided to try it on my own. I was able to program an AT&T remote (Model # 200B) that came with my Comcast Cable digital cable box using code # 109. Unfortunately, it appears the codes are different for different remotes, although I was able to "scan" them using a special key combination and then the up and down arrow keys on the remote itself (be patient, it can take a while). Check the instructions for your remote on how to scan (don't worry, I didn't know where my paper copy was either, but I plugged in the model number on Google and was able to pull it up). This is awesome, a free IR remote (does both regular [timed] exposures and bulb) with at least a 20' range! Best of luck.

• 5 months later...

Can some kind soul mail me the article from Dennison Bertram? Was unable tofind it on digihack.net.

I have had some success in generating the D70 code by a microcontroller. To make it more reliable I am in search of the "nominal IR code". So far I had to perform some measurements to get the clue.

From those I summon it to be a 40Khz modulated IR with 11 bits in pulse width modulation being 1010110000. Each 1 is represented by a period of about 1.2ms w/o signal, each 0 is represented by a period of about 0.6ms w/o signal, those gaps occouring between pulses of 0.6ms consisting of the 40KHz "carrier". The complete datagram takes 16ms. The repetition of the datagram seems to be very important.

See my measurements:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Irmodbt.jpg

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Irmodh.jpg<div>00Fokh-29097484.jpg.83e0564fa0c0729ca57530a658fbf5b5.jpg</div>

• 8 months later...