Minox B filter and exposure meter

vaantique

I've read that the minox b meter automaticly adjusts to measure light when the

grey filter is put infront of the lens. When I slide the filter in mine, nothing at all

changes. Is this failure easy to fix? Is there some resistor that goes bad or a

swich on the knurled slide thats falty?

Marshall,

Yes, the meter should adjust automatically when using the grey neutral density filter. That's what the owner's manual refers to as "the second measuring range," I belive. When the ND filter is in place, a resistor is introduced into the light meter's circuit, I've read. This decreases the voltage sent from the light meter cell to the needle readout, thus indicating use of a slower shutter speed.

If you hold the meter button down while looking at the top of the camera (where there is enough light to make the meter have a reading; i.e. not a darkened room, not outside at night), then keep holding the meter button down while pushing the knurled filter slide all the way in, my Minox B's meter deflects down one line. (I think mine is weak--it should probably deflect two lines.)

I suppose the resistor might be faulty or connection to it might be broken/dirty, making your meter not adjust to light. DAG (Don Goldberg) is a repairman who can probably fix that. See: http://www.dagcamera.com/index.html

In any case, if your meter doesn't deflect when using the ND filter, you can use the normal meter reading then adjust the shutter speed two stops slower (i.e. if meter says 1/200 and you use ND filter, set shutter speed at 1/50). This will compensate for the filter as I'm told the filter is a 4X (2 f/stop) light reducer. Some literature refers to 10X ND filter, which would require a little more than 3 f/stops more light (go down 3 shutter speeds slower on the dial) though my B seems to have the 4X.

--Micah in NC