But will it fit in my pocket?????

Though it may be redundant, I have articles from the '40s describing these cameras in detail around here somewhere. The first one is a very interesting camera built by an even more interesting gentleman. If I remember correctly though, it did not take glass plates, but sheet film, which I have the details on. Even though the camera took something like ten or so men to operate it, plates would still be next to impossible to handle. I'll try to find my resource and get back.

The article I have is in The Complete Photographer, issue 34, volume 6, pages 2217 thru 2221. Lawrence was a very interesting fellow. The mammoth camera did indeed take glass plates - 4 1/2 X 8 feet, in a holder 10 X 6 feet. Plates cost 1,800.00 dollars a dozen (in 1900 dollars). Lenses were a 5 1/2 foot wide angle and a 11 foot Rapid Telescopic Rectilinear. Front and rear rise and swing. The focus screen was a semi transparent celluloid, which is why my faded memory remembered the use of sheet film. Doh!

In Process cameras; there is the Goertz REd Dot Artar in 70 inch focal length; it is F16 wide open. It covers a 42x48" plate a 1:10; and 72 x80" plate at 1:1. This lens was 3625 dollars in 1971; when minimum was about 1 to 1.25 bucks. There was a lower distortion variant that cost more bucks; with 0.005% distortion only. A VW bug was about 1999 bucks in 1971.