Safe to use pc adapter to older flash on DL?

daveish182

Check the manual to find out what the max safe voltage is for your camera. You measure the voltage across the flash contacts with a voltmeter. If the measured voltage is more than what the camera can take, you need isolation of some sort. If you can't be bothered to measure, just get a Wein safe-sync.

Wein makes a small unit that slides into your camera hotshoe and provides a safe circuit no matter what the voltage of your flash - via a hotshoe on top or a PC socket.

http://www.weinproducts.com/safesyncs.htm

You can test all you like - if you test incorrectly, you could destroy your camera. You can suffer transients that don't show up every time - and destroy your camera. You can read the flash's manual and discover that it has a 'safe' voltage and it turns out not to - and again - destroy your camera.

Seems a lot to risk just to try to use an older flash on a newer camera. You won't get most of the benefits of a modern flash on the newer camera anyway, such as P-TTL, so the risk seems to me not to be worth taking.

Just my opinion - I would not risk it.

I agree, but they've been making products for years that fill photographic niches no one else fills. I'm inclined to say who cares what their website looks like. But that's just me - I'm more interested in how a product works than in how slick the brochure for it is. Weird, huh?