Which medium format camera for professional use?

guido_ratti

I will open a studio soon and for portrait I want to use intensively

a medium format camera. I own an Hasselblad 500CM with three lenses

and an A12 back. I really love this camera and its lenses, but I

never feel sure about its reliability. Will it be proof against an

intensive professional use? It will be too high the cost of constant

maintenance of lenses' shutters?

I'm really in doubt about changing for Rollei, Contax or Pentax645...

Really thanks

Guido, Milan, Italy

PS: I hope in future to join a digital back to the camera, so in my

decision I have to see for which cameras these backs exist...

I own these lenses: 80mm f2.8, 50mm f4 and 150mm f4. I'm really satisfied about their quality, my only fear is that I'll do in future photo shooting in which I cannot fail... With 35mm cameras it was enough a second body... But with Hasselblad, since shutter is in each lens, you should have a second lens for every type? I cannot afford a such great expense...

I wouldn't worry about shutter failure. But if you are really nervous, why not get a used 2000/2003 body as backup? They are cheap, and you then have a shutter in the body. (Alternatively go for a 200 -series. You can then by new if you like, and also get TTL-flash like in the 503 CW)

In Milan, isn't it possible to rent this kind of lens at short notice if your

own fails? On the other hand if you need to be able to use something

else at very short notice indeed (and also for weeks rather than mere

hours), how about buying a Bronica S2a and some lenses for it as a

backup system? (NB I'm just an amateur and a very feeble one at that, so

my opinion probably isn't worth a damn.)

Guido,<br><br>You worry about the reliability of your Hasselblad? A rather belated April's Fool gag?<br><br>These things stand up to many decades of hard professional use without a problem. Don't worry.<br>The shutters of almost 50 year old lenses still work great, provided they have been worked hard for all that time. No worry there either.

I'd have to agree with Mr. De Bakker, there are some many Hasselblads stilll giving reliable

servicve from the 60's onward. When properly maintained I sure others with disagree but I

doubt there are many more reliable systems out there.

I'm really "in love" with my Hasselblad and I should be really sad in changing system... it's only cause I'm new in professional world and I'm starting getting nervous at the idea of having some "shutter failure". For Peter: you're perfectly right, but not always you have the time for renting another camera, even if in Milan there are many place in which doing this... For Hans: I'm really interested in your advice. All the CF lenses with shutter inside work with the 200- serie?

Guido,

Having the right tools for the job is just a normal requirement for running any business. It's alright to start your business on a shoestring, but you should plan on getting one or two additional backs, a second body, and a second lens of the focal length you use the most as soon as your cash flow allows. Your cost for those items will be a small percentage of your total cost of doing business.

If you buy into another system then you will have to buy a body and lens and backs and finder also. Since you have the Hassy, I'd just pick up a spare body and a couple backs. If the 150 dies during a shoot, you can use the standard lens and crop for the look you want, not best but will work in a pinch. Then add backup lens as funds become avail. You might want to add a 120 or 180 to go with the 150 instead of just duplicating the existing size. This will give you backup and more coverage also.

Guido,

Don't buy into another system, especially since you have the 500CM and 3 lenses. What the others has suggested to you are right on target.

With the low prices on EBay or even NEW if you have to have reliability, buy a second body,extra magazines, a 2X Mutar or 2XE teleconvertor and a 120mm Macro lens. The teleconvertor will convert your 80mm into a 160mm for those telephoto shots. The 120mm is an extra focal lens that will give you the macro shots that you don't have in your lenses lineup. You can of course buy into extension tubes if you rather go the least expensive route. Otherwise, the Hasselblad system are purely mechanical and extreme robust. I never had one fail on me. Just bring it in for a CLA every 2 year or so. It all depends on how hard you use them.

-

Guido:

As a professional, you ALWAYS have backup or substitutable equipment with you --- regardless of the brand you use. You are being paid to get the job done not to have reasons why you could not do it.

For instance if you were using your 500cm and a 150 lens for portraits you should also have an extra body, back, and a 120 or 180 lens. Don?t forget to have an extra light meter and all the extra equipment for lighting.

Personally, I would make sure that any equipment I bought was digitally ready --- the business is quickly going in that direction.

Best of luck in your venture

Hasselblad 500c/m systems have been in use for over 20 years in thousands of

professional photography studios around the world. The other real standard tool for

professional medium format work is the Mamiya RZ67 system. If you are planning on

adding a digital back these

I have friends who have rollei 6008 cameras and they seem to need constant work.

Kyocera recently announcedthat they were stopping production of the Contax 645. The

Polaroid back for a Pentax 645 is at least as much as a new pentax 645 body is. And if you

aren't shooting prodigitally and you are shooting professionally, you need a polaroid back.

You know and love your 'blad, keep it. If you are worried about the lenses and they're

aging, have them serviced - a good tech can check your shutters and lubricate anythign

that needs it. But if they're working fine now, and have been working consitantly, they're

fine and you shouldn't worry. I'd be more concerned with having a second body and fim

backs on hand in case a light seal in one of them goes bad. Hassy's are finicky cameras,

and there's a lot than can go wrong on them, but usually just because they're built in a

way that makes user error very possible and potentially significant. If you've been using

one for a while and know it well, it should continue to treat you well.

The Hasselblad 500CM came out in 1971; the 500C in 1957. This is a long proven track record. Why not just get a spare body; magazine; and me done with any worries? NASA used these in Gemini in the 1960's. They also went to the moon for the Apollo missions; in modified versions. Is this an April Fools Joke Question?

I would suggest you have your persent equipment serviced before starting your venture. Then as soon as profits allow you backup the present gear with a newer but compatable body one that will offer you some feature not currently covered with what you have. Then add another example of your most used focal lenght again with a slightly different option. Have this new gear serviced before adding it to your kit. Then every four or five years take a vacation and while away have 1/2 of your kit serviced.

Perventive mantainance is the cheepest way to insure such fine equipment will never let you down and if something happens just go pickup the backup and keep shooting.

If you're nervous about a Hasselblad not performing in a pinch, try a Rollei 6008 and have the battery run out before you even start working. In a studio, the more mechanical the better, as long as you're comfortable with it. In many ways, you've got the best for the work you do.

While your camera will probably be just fine, if you're thinking that it may not be enough or be too expensive to repair/replace, consider that Mamiya's 67 series (RB67, all mechanical, and RZ67, electronic with capabilities for a digital back that will come out soon direct from Mamiya) is basically designed for studio work. They're beasts; while a Hasselblad could be described as elegant and dependable, the Mamiya's are better described as capable and rugged. You will probably find the Mamiyas to be less expensive than the Hasselblads, while delivering the same quality.

If you do more than portrait, the Mamiya cameras have built in bellows which will be very useful for macro or close up work.

I happen to be a Rolleiflex guy, but the point about lens shutter failure is why I am responding. Through years of use on new and used lenses, I've never had a lens failure. Maybe they get a little cranky, but you hear and feel that,long before any "failure."

As for bodies, I prefer the Rollei's compact approach to everything in one box, despite its battery power. A second battery is nowhere near the extravagance of Hassy's discreet parts that add up to a single Rollei body.

Just get your lenses serviced if you are in doubt.

Cheers,

Ray Hull

I used to have quite a bit of Hasselblad stuff but after having a few goes on a friend's

Rollei 6008i I realised that I had been using the wrong system. I realised that

Hasselblads were a bit 'cranky' and I was fed up with the way they feel ? a bit like

cradling a tin toy with a fantastic lens attached.

I don't think there is such a thing as a 'perfect' system but the Rollei gets me closer to

how I want the picture to look. I use it a lot in all conditions and it hasn't let me down

yet.

Guido, the best thing that you could do is borrow (if possible) the cameras that you

think will make your life easier and see how they feel. A few of my associates prefer

Hasselblads over Rolleis which is absolutely fine; it all boils down to what you feel

comfortable with in the end.