Leica at PMA

really__

A friend of mine is helping supervising some set ups at PMA. He just called me this

morning to tell me he was over at the Leica table trying to get some Leica swag for me--

now that's a friend! He doesn't know much about cameras, but, rest assured, Leica is

there, although I got the impression it wasn't a big booth. I asked him to ask about a

digital M. If I hear anything (doubtful) I'll pass it on.

I thought PMA was in the Netherlands.

Reading the dpreview.com web site's report of PMA, they have the same old Digital Modul

R with the menu lit up just like last time. It's under glass, where nobody can try to shoot

with it, just like last time.

The humorous thing is that they say it'll be released in 'April 2005'. Hahahaha. This is in

direct conflict with the press release that Leica made some weeks ago stating that they

weren't doing nearly as well as they expected, and that certain products may be delayed.

Marketing fighting the accountants and engineers?

We in the good old USA are so egocentric that we naturally assume everything in the world evolves around us, NOT !!

Right now, all the high end camera makers are concentrating their efforts in promoting sales for the new China. When was the last time you saw 30-40 Summilux 50/1.4 in one batch. How about 60 M7's, 30 MP ?? Well, I saw them when they were being prepared for a shipment to China.

Are you also aware that Hasselblad was bought out by a Hong Kong firm and now their primary interests are in China, not here. Rumors said they are also considering buying Leica and some others.. We used to be and had the greatest consumer power in the world, not anymore since our good ol' presidents start trading the things we have so as to gain some votes. Sad.

Stop your colonial mentality, please.

All I can surmise from the reports are that the Digilux 2 is being scaled back to $1595.

Big news but I guess it's not being overzealous - maybe the Panasonic version is outselling it bigtime.

Also - per an email from someone at Leica recently the M Digital back is not due to be announced or tested until 2006 as an earlier poster said. Not sure if that means early or late in the year - better hurry up!

It's in Orlando this year right?

Lee, a couple of months ago here in Tokyo at Bic Camera they had the Leica Digilux 2 and the Panasonic clone side by side in the display cabinet. I don't remember the exact prices, but it was something like 210,000 Yen for the Leica and 170,000 Yen for the Panasonic. When I went back a few weeks later the display had changed and the Leica was gone!

Couldn't help wondering is the Panasonic rep had anything to do with the initial display ;-)

Gabriel

Thanks for your,very accurate assessment! - the US is part of planet earth, not the other way round.

Lee

It could be that a Digilux 3 is not that far away, and maybe they want to clear old stock? All they need to do is make the lens slightly smaller and put in a proper viewfinder - wish wish.

Bruno

Looking at the digi-news photos of the R9+DMR there is a view of the rear screen display which shows the moire filter as off but I thought that Leica weren't going to have a moire filter at all? If correct this may have been one of the reasons for the delay in its introduction?

Bruno

My guess is that either they are not selling as many as Panasonic or - DIII is on it's way - I hope so as I've held off buying thus far & would be more than happy to get a DII.

Reminds me of Nikon with their rebates - writing is on the wall so far as what's being phased out

They provide sample images, they print them, show them on screen and guess what ? Some of us have been able to use the camera, shoot pictures with it and so on...

So I guess the reason why they do not let everybody take pictures with it is the same reason Nikon has for its D2X.

To avoid ill-informed people like you to spread even more rumors on the Internet.

>Question - if Leica has set a firm shipping date of April 2005 for the DMR, why wouldn't

>they let folks use it at PMA? Why wouldn't they provide at least one sample image?

>Answer - because it's vaporware.

They provided sample images a few months ago and they looked good for a prototype

camera. If you search the Leica site, you will probably still be able to find them.

It is fairly common for manufactures to be tight lipped until the product ships. Nikon's 2dx

is a good example.

It is not uncommon at trade shows to see sample cameras with the memory card cover

hot glued shut.

feli

<i>Looking at the digi-news photos of the R9+DMR there is a

view of the rear screen display which shows the moire filter as

off but I thought that Leica weren't going to have a moire filter at

all?</i><br><br>I think the moire filter is a software feature and

the 'on/off' thing is probably relevant to in-camera processed

jpegs. What the DMR doesn't have (which distinguishes it from

most of the competition) is a physical moire (low-pass) filter over

the sensor.

Pascal, are you implying that you have actually shot pictures with this camera? I know they

let one German guy shoot some images with it, and provided little postage stamp size

sample images, with little postage stamp sized enlargements.

If you did indeed shoot with it, let's see the images! If not, then please stop implying

things that aren't so. I would love to see a full sized, native resolution sample image.

I have spread no rumors. I have merely observed that Leica has been flapping their

collective lips regarding the DMR, but has provided scarce details or evidence to back up

their claims that they will be able to ship the DMR in April.

Leica had a couple of native resolution images available to

download from their website as long ago as before Christmas. I

seem to remember the image quality looked pretty good. A

recentish issue of LFI also featured some 'fashion' style images

shot with the DMR. These (as far as offset printed output can

show) also suggested the DMR will cut it quality wise. The DMR

is clearly not vapourware like the infamous silicon film (or

whatever it was called). DMR units physically exist and, I dare

say, properly work (albeit probably with some glitches). Whilst

one can question the wisdom of designing an add-on module

rather than stick the digital guts in a modified R8/9 shell, I don't

think there should be any doubt that the DMR will be a decent

product (image quality wise) when/if it finally ships.