Other then yourself who do you admire?

jay_patel

<p><b>Annabeth: </b> Perhaps you should explore the concept of mate rating in more detail. Averages ratings of 5.82/6.14 can easily be produced by rating just the photos you like...and not rating the photos you don't like (Statistics 101). </p>

<p>Here is a link of my <a href="http://www.photo.net/gallery/photocritique/one-critic?rater=327349&period=2000">highest rated photos</a>. Perhaps it is filled with JUST my teammates from <a href="www.timecatcher.com">Timecatcher</a>. Or perhaps I only give 7/7 to Paula Grenside because we do collaboration work on side. No wait....I got it, since Rajeev Thomas is a big fan of my work I give him 7/7 no matter what he posts. Rajeev!! You lucky devil you...LOL!! </p>

<p>I wonder how you get to be an expert at mate rating phenomena without posting any photos? Or even better yet without rating any photos? Or commenting on any photos? Perhaps I should ask Brain to delete all my ratings and photos, so I can quickly become an expert at the mate rating phenomena...LOL!</p>

<p><b>Annabeth: </b>While you are pondering that question about statistics 101, you may want to check out works of these other mate raters: Dave K., Patrick Di Fris, Vincent Tyler, Ken Williams, Paula Grenside, Curtis Forrester, foureyes, Nana Sousa Dias and others...LOL!!</p>

<p>I have to agree with you on atleast one point, while there a many people of photo.net whose work I admire, I do like to rate the photographs on their own merit. :-))</p>

Jay, first sorry for not sticking to the subject.

Annabeth, I find it interesting that in your first paragraph you chose not to admire (shall we say judge) photographers based on their work. However, in your second paragraph you are willing to judge people as mate raters based on their average score. The fact that any given individual's average given ratings are 6.14A and 5.82O tells you one thing. It tells you that that person, on average, has given ratings of 6.14A and 5.82O. It could just as easily point to someone who prefers to rate and or comment on pictures to which he or she is drawn. I don't, now, want to have to start worrying about keeping my A/O averages in line for fear of being judged. Also, my guess is that people who waste their time mate rating also waste their time making certain their averages don't look suspicious.

<p><b>Jamie: </b>No problem....Your feedback just clarifies further what I was trying to say...Giving high ratings to the photos doesn't make you a mate rater. I tried to point this out (rather sarcastically) in my last post. All the individuals I have listed on my last post has given out average rating of high 5s to mid 6s for asthetics and orginality and none of them are mate raters. </p>

Jay, I agree that Brian's "solution" will, in time, require another "solution", so to say. It would have been far more prudent if he would also have dealt directly with the handful of the worst mate-rating offenders. As it is, they are still proudly strutting their mediocrity and boosting it with their rating-inflation abuses. <p>

If Brian would have combined direct corrective action with the change of the default TRP filter this site would have been improved subtstantially. Please don't misunderstand me, I do indeed like the diversity on the default TRP. I also feel that the underdog is now getting a chance here. But the abusers are still controlling far too much real estate to suit me. I would like to think otherwise, but we are now living in the calm before the next storm of abuse begins. Regards.<p>

I admire people of all skill levels who come here and post a request for critique. I feel photo.net is already very friendly to those who desire to follow the work of specificic individuals. You already get their scrolling photo bio page, what more could you ask...

Oops, late to the party. Thanks for pointing me this way, Jay. You actually have about 10 questions rolled into one, don't cha? I created <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=275307">my favorite PN portfolios</a> and that reflects only a handful of folks whose work I admire. There are much more here in PN that I just can't link them all up. IMHO, names that have been mentioned above are mostly valid. In general, most members are friendly and helpful. I learn different things from different photogs on a continual basis. Jay, your idea of customizable "interesting people" is a good one. Not sure though if it's really doable. Guess we'll see if admin will buy into it or not.