Canon 1.8 Leica Thread Mount?

I have just purchased a Canon 1.8 LTM to be used on a Leica 111C.

After spending alot of time on the net I decided to ask here. What is

the filter size of this lens? I can't figure it out. The lens has not

been delivered yet and I want to know the filter size and if there is

a decent generic hood out there that will fit this lens. I know the

canon hood made for this lens states it is a Series VI, but it seems

to require an adapter to fit. Does anyone know? I thank you in

advance for any information.

40mm only Canon uses that size filter and they can be hard to find. Leica went 39mm Nikon went to 40.5mm

There are 8 versions of this lens in 3 different configurations ALL use a 40mm filter. If you send me or post here the first three numbers of the serial number I can tell you which version you have.

The last version was introduced in May of 59 and made through March of 73 and has 6 diaphram blades in 2 versions.

The middle version (8/56 thru 4/59)of which there is only 1 version has 9

The first version (11/51 thru (7/56) of which there are 4 versions has 13.

Most of the variations in each configuration is due to changes in the ID format.

This information is from Peter Kitchingham's up coming book on Canon Rangefinders be sure to pick one up when they become available. As it is going to be amazing from what I have seen so far.

The filter solution is to get the rectangular Canon hood for the 50/1.9 or 50/1.8 lens, and use Series VI filters in it. It should come with a 42mm slip-on Series VI adapter. This is a ventilated hood, but the ventilation holes are optimized for a Canon screwmount camera, not a Leica. Even the lens itself will be in the finder a bit on a IIIc.

Forget the round Canon hood, it will block almost half the IIIc's viewfinder. (It's only tolerable, at best, on a Canon camera.)

Also, the Canon (and Walz) 40mm filters do show up on eBay, and at camera shows.

John,

I had a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and it was an excellent lens. To solve the filer problem I had SK Grimes make a custom step-down ring 40mm to 39mm. He also put in a special grove so my Leica clip on shade would work. Cost was $50, well worth it. When I sold the lens I included the adapter with it.

There is a way to use Leica E39 filters on a Canon 40mm bezel. It seems drastic to describe but it works and hardly anyone can tell what has been done. With a pair of smooth jaw needle nose pliers nip the threaded ring of the filter at three places around the periphery as near equidistant as you can get them, and bend the thin ring out enough that the threads catch in the lens bezel. It requires only small distortion of the threaded ring to make it fit. I know the purist will have the fantods upon reading this, but I have done it and it works. I even did it on a 40.5 CLE lens. If done gently and correctly the filter will fit just like it was made that way. If you want you can add more nips but the original three is enough and it won't distort the filter enough that it can't be restored to fit the E39 thread. Suggest that you try it with a junk filter first and when you get the hang of it go for broke!

John - This link should take you to the <a href=http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/f_lens.html>lens page of the Canon Camera "Museum" site</a>, which provides historical info and specs. Of course you then click on the S-Mount for info on screw mount lenses.