what would you?

Sanford

Suppose someone owned an M6 with a 50mm Summicron and a Contax G2

with a 45mm lens and wanted to add a wide angle. Would you buy the

Contax 28mm or the new Voigtlander 35mm M mount lens (the 28mm is

just too wide for the .72 finder of the M6). And don't tell me to

sell the Contax equipment and buy a Leica brand 35mm - I really like

using both systems.

I wouldn`t be in two systems in the first place. Unless they were different formats or slr/rf.

You can put an aux finder on the M6 and use a 24 or 28. I use the aux finder with an M3/35 mm or 28 with any .72 whether it has 28 lines or not.

If you rule out M6/28, the only logical choice is 28 for the G2 or 35 for the M6.

There are minimal (if any) differences optically between the two systems overall. Both are arguably the best available. However, I don't see the two systems as interchangeable. I would encourage you to look at auto-focus vs. manual focus; your preference here should dictate your decision.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

<I> (the 28mm is just too wide for the .72 finder of the M6). </I><P>Many people read

this forum everyday. Some folks are just getting into "Leica" photography and eat up

everything that everybody says. The problem is that there's alot of utter nonsense that

gets floated as <i>truth</I>. There is nothiing wrong with using a 28mm on the M6 with

.72 viewfinder. I done it for years. It's much prefer to me than the external 28mm

viewfinder. You can view the image and focus at the same time. Now if you make the

statement that <I>if you wear eyeglasses</I> it's not an ideal combination, then I'll agree.

I would hate to choose between the two systems. Lets face it, the reason many of us (maybe most of us?) own and use rangefinders is just because it fun to take the old gal out for a spin once in a while, sort of like a '56 Porsche. Serious work is reserved for Nikon or other SLR systems. Gabriele, I like your street shots a lot. Were they made with the Contax? And, yes, I should have said the .72 finder is useable with a 28mm except for eyeglass wearers.

I'd see to get the Contax G Planar 35/2, Sanford. Not only is it faster than the Biogon 28/2.8, it's also lower in price. For the Leica's next purchase, I'd wait for a Konica to be advertised/auctioned. More often than not you see the 28mm kind, which is like a 'cron in that it's an f2 lens. I have, however, a rare kind: the Konica Hexanon 35/2, and it makes the best combo there is with a Leica.

Have fun shopping!

As you said you want a wide angle, rather than a wider substitute for your normal lenses, a 35mm is just too similar.

But really, there are cheap (but good wide angles available that you can have your cake and eat it.

The 28mm Contax is cheap (compared with a 28mm Summicron). Just get it. Then, if you can swing it, you can get the new Zeiss 24mm F2.8 or the 21mm F2.8. If not the CV25mm F4 or the 21mm F4. Both are cheap.

There is a world of difference between 21mm and 28mm. Who knows, maybe you'll adapt to ultra-wides better. For the Leica 28mm Summicron, there is no doubt it is a very good lens, but if you have the use an attached VF, you might as well undergo the hassle for a wider perspective.