dealing with mixed lighting and a digital SLR

please forgive this novice question, but i am trying to figure out if

it's best to spend hours reading the manual and testing various white

balance options the camera offers (pentax istDS) or simply adjusting

colour temperature when doing a photoshop conversion of the raw file.

the location will be lit mostly by ridiculously large windows, but

some shots will require the boost of a 600W hot-light or two. just

to cut off one potential line of responses, let me note up front that

i don't use (believe in) flash.

thanks in advance!

vuk.

i think i should clarify a bit. first, i don't really care about "true" colours and i don;t mind doing the RAW colour temp adjustment in photoshop--it's certainly easier than fussing around with white balance on the camera: you see, i will be moving the model around and the degree of light mixing is going to vary from spot to spot. if RAW is RAW and the camera's white balance effort is summed up by the value it assigns to the colour temp, then photoshop is the answer. if something else is going on and i'm going to lose capture quality, then it's another matter.

grant, gel the windows? yes, of course, i'll have my butler take care of it.

as for flash, i don't like the look, i don't like the violence of it going off and i don't like guessing at what exactly i am shooting.

vuk.

You can't balance mixed lighting using color temperature. Mixed light doesn't have a color temperature by definition. If it did, it wouldn't be mixed.

Color temperature implies a continuous black body spectrum.

In mixed light, whatever overall correction you apply will be wrong in some areas if it's right in others.

Vuk, your asking the wrong question, its not a matter of "balancing the white balance" in camera or in the file. You can't "balance" it because there will be no one source to balance. You will have one tempeture on one side and another on the other side. Grant's right, even though you seem resistant to hearing it. Hmmm maybe you can, if its a static scene, take two or more images, changing the white balance to cover each light source, than trying to mask and erase/blend in PS. Or something like that. If you don't want to use strobes instead of hot lights than you have to deal with it.

mixed lighting is the same on film as it is on DSRL or movies or whatever they will invent next. (and WE know who THEY are...)

Because it is mixed lighting (and that's what your heading speaks of) it has more than one K value. The *only* way to deal with mixed lighting is with gels, in which case you would have to decide which light source will become the main one. Then, you would correct the other so that both match to your likings. You don't have to match them perfectly, if you want a little shift you can have a difference of 100-300 K. It's a matter of personal taste, desired mood, etc...

If you don't want the gels then, you will have to decide which part of the picture you want to let shift, the tungsten source or the daylight. If you balance your camera to tungsten (around 3200-3400k) the light from the outside will shift to blue. Conversly, if you balance for daylight, the hot light will shift to red.

I rarely use RAW but, if you feel unsure it's a good way to remedy a possible problem. Otherwise, use a colormeter or the rule of film (daylight/tungsten). OF course, you will have to compensate for the hour of the day as you progress in the shoot. Also, direct sunlight thru the window will measure differently than indirect light (say shaded from a tree). The windows themselves may have some tint on them. It's hard to say without those details available.

So, there you have it.

With your scenario, I would white balance for the light coming in the windows and color correct the hotlights. It seems much easier to do it this way instead of pulling huge sheets of color correct gell all over the house. If you get good hot light color correction gels, try a supply shop that caters to video production, it should take them quite a while to burn (they will actually start to change color first), that is if you are putting the gels far enough away from the bulbs. If you are using a light like a tota light or even a 600w fresnel, put the gel far enough away from the source that it wont burn, you could use a barndoor or that contraption that tota lights seem to come with (gel holder) that is a huge pain in the butt. I like to use clothespins to hold the gel to the barndoors.

Hi Vuk-

I deal with mixed lighting all the time. I find if I am shooting with a constant setup setting the CWB is terrific. I palce a McBeth chart in the scene and then RAW conversion is easy using the eyedropper.

However if I am moving from room to room and each one has different ratios of incandescent - florescant - daylight then I let the camera select it's own white balance. It does a pretty good job and as long as there is a neutral grey in the scene they can all be adjusted.

Just remember how easy it can be to clone out a small grey card in the corner!

Hope this helps-

Andrew

San Francisco

paul de luna.

<br><br>

excellent advice. i will try a few that way and then have my girl stay still for that extra fraction of a second for some critical frames without light mixing. i shall finish off, worry-free, by pulling out the leica loaded with tri-x. the wonders of technology...

<br><br>

thanks to everyone.

<br><br>

cheers,<br>

vuk.

For the lights, I see filmcrews taping a filter (some sort of thin polyester film) over the lamp. Of course not direectly against the glass, they use barn doors and the filter is some 10cm away from the heat.

Occasionally the filter gets to close to the heat and melts, but they are cheap and in general, the lighting guy told me, there is no problem unless it's turned on for a very long time or gets to glose to the hot glass. They don't use gels because it's to much hassle.

I guess with a blue filter you could get the lights quite close to the daylight, so that the difference will be easier to fix afterwards, if you don't like the mixed look. Converting the raw twice is an excellent idea!

Tri-x and the leica, now that is so unfair ;-) Have fun!

Have fun!