Public Viewing of photos

mbrown

Guys I was thinking that an option to lock out folders from public viewing

and/or the option to make people click a link with a warning when people look

into you photos page (eg www.photo.net/photos/mbrown) would be a good idea.

An example might be:

I send people to my photo page all the time, including some potential clients,

this gives them a look at my portfolio as well as a look at photo.net. However

I have taken down my nudes because I cant hide them or give them the option of

clicking a link to view them, they just pop right up there with the other photos.

Would this be a difficult theing to do?

Hopefully I have explained this the right way for people to understand.

Mike Brown

(Melboure Australia)

Love that goalie photo (http://www.photo.net/photo/4950248 )....

When you say "lock out from public viewing" you mean that the photos would be available only to other registered members of photo.net?

We could do that when we rewrite the gallery software. The programming is quite simple (2-3 hours tops). The issue is that we are making the user interface more complex. Maybe it could be an advanced feature that new users don't see. Otherwise you get the situation of someone wondering why nobody can see their recently uploaded photos.

Thanks for the feedback on the pic...

Yeah sorry I should have qualified, yes only to NON p.net users. That way we can send "outside" people to our photo pages to have a look and not have to worry about where they are (like at work) or who is around when viewing the pages and then I can put my B&W nudes back up.

I wouldnt say we need to lock them out completely, just have a link in that folder section that they have to click on to view the pics, basically giving them the option to view or not.

Mike

On another note, it's good to see you back and active again, still waiting for your next visit back to Aus and have that coffee.

Maybe the right thing is an organization tool for people who have more than a certain number of images uploaded, e.g., 20. At that point they are fairly familiar with the interface and we can start introducing them to using folders, making folders registered-only and/or sublinks. Until someone has 15-20 photos uploaded they probably shouldn't see any of the folder machinery.

[Thanks for the coffee invite. I keeping meaning to return to Australia and visit the west coast. I was thinking that it would be fun to rent a twin-engine plane from a flight school there and fly around. Unfortunately, the Australian government's imposition of user fees seems to have resulted in the dismantling of the general aviation industry in your neck of the woods, so it isn't as easy to find aircraft for training or rental as it once was.]