*IST DS Memory Factory Supplied

rod_dinkins

Try as I might in searching the Pentax site and many others, can't

find what SD card is factory supplied if any with the body only

purchase. Reason I need to know is what additional card I might want

when I but my *IST DS. Found some package deals on the web.

Also I own many Pentax lenses as well as the big flash AF-500FTZ.

Would appreciate any info as how well this flash works with the *IST

DS. Particularly the SL slave mode ?

The question of what memory card is included is easy: None. I would suggest <i>at least</i> a 256M SD card which should hold about 75 JPEG pictures. The size of each file varies quite a lot, from under 1M to 3M or more depending on how much detail is shown, and how sharp that detail is. If the different speed ratings you sometimes find on memory cards make any difference, I can't tell. Don't know about the AF-500FTZ flash.

Factory supplied memory? - Maybe there are some empty pages in some of the manuals "for your notes"

My *istD came with nothing. This enables you at least to view a capture on the LCD after activating some custom function or maybe even shooting computer tethered; I dont't know.

Why should Pentax supply memory? What would you do with a small card able to hold 2.5 RAW pictures?

Keep it in your purse for emergencies? Did your LX ship with film? There's a price war outside! The *istDS is no dumb 3rd choice p&s to be sold by adding a fishy microdrive.

Yes, as someone one who never open the case of the 16MB CF card that came with my Nikon Coolpix 4500 before giving it to a friend, I have to say I am rather happy about not paying more for something that doesn't fit my needs. SLRs (and thus DSLRers) want control, whether it's sRGB vs. Adobe RGB or four 512MB cards vs. one 2GB card. Also, how much space you need depends on a variety of things, from how long of trips you take to whether you bracket a lot to if you shoot in RAW or JPG. I would pick up a 512MB (164 ***JPG or 46 RAW, if I remember correctly) and be ready to buy more media if necessary.

<br><br>

As for the flash, there is an old dpreview thread about just this thing (only regarding the *ist D, not the *ist DS). You can check it out here:

<br><br>

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=8057093" target="_blank">http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=8057093</a>

<br><br>

P.S. Package deals are rarely <i>deals</i>. And I know you've decided on body only, but unless you are buying the 16-45 anyway, the kit lenses is MORE than worth the extra few bucks. If you don't get it, it will cost you at least a couple hundred to get anywhere near that focal range - and with a crop factor, you will want it.