joe_tanham

HI

I want to find out the makes and model number of any portable SLR 6x9

cameras are available on the market. Preferably with an inbuilt light

meter. Somthing you can just pick up and or tripod mount for good

lanscape. Must be SLR with meter. Know of any? I am a starter here,

help would be appreciated.

Joe.T

There is only one camera I can think of that could be configured to your requirements...

the Horseman VH (or VHR) with their Angle Viewer and 6x9 Meter Insert. I happen to own

both models, which are absoultely killer for landscape work. An all metal 6x9 flatbed

technical field camera with lots or movements, both front and rear. Small and light

(compared to my Toyo 45AII), the entire set-up plus 3-4 lenses, two film backs an incident

meter and 10 rolls of film fit in the same bag as my Nikon D100 and two lenses (17-35 &

70-200) plus flash unit. You can shoot hand held, but I almost always use a tripod. The

angle viewer is bright and easy to see, with an upright (though reversed) image. I use

lenses from Schneider's 58XL up to a Nikon 270T ED telephoto. The Horesman film plane

meter insert is quite accurate. As I prefer using an incident meter I only use it for macro

work so I don't have to bother with bellows adjustment factors. You could probably pick

up an excellent condition camera and lens on ebay for around $1000. The Angle Viewer,

Meter Insert and additional film backs usually fetch another $200 each. You can find lot's

of info and testimonials about this marvelous camera here (http:/www.photo.net/bboard/

q-and-a-one-category?topic_id=35&category=Horseman).

Robert, according to Paine's book A Review of Graflex the National Graflex took 2.25" x 2.5" images.

Joe, to add a discordant voice to the chorus, there's the Rittreck SLR. Meterless, only three focal lengths were available for it. And they're very, very rare.

Give it up, fall back to 6x7 or reconsider what you're trying to do.

Sorry,

Dan

Joe,<br>

If I answer strictly to your question, considering that a "SLR" is a Single Lens Reflex, and that a rangefinder camera or a folding camera with groundglass are not SLRs, <u>there is no 6x9 SLR camera</u> :<br>

<ul>

<li>in a Single Lens Reflex (SLR), the image of the subject goes through the lens, then reaches the photographer's eye by means of a mirror through the eyepiece of the camera.

<li>In a viewfinder camera or in a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera, the photographer looks at the image either through a separate window in the camera (viewfinder) or through a separate lens (TLR).

<li>Last, in folding cameras without viewfinder, the subject image is seen on a groundglass which takes the place of the film before the photograph is taken.

</ul>

All 6x9 cameras I know (probably some other ones have been manufactured in the past) are :<br>

<ul>

<li>The Fuji GW 690-III and GSW 690-III rangefinder cameras, respectively with a 90mm and a 65mm fixed lens, but both without metering cell inside,

<li>Fuji also made another 6x9 camera, the GL 690, which looks like the GW and GSW, but with interchangeable lenses from 50mm to 180mm, and also without metering system.

<li>Voigtländer Bessa/Bessa II or Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta and Super-Ikonta vintage 6x9 folding cameras, and probably many other old brands,

<li>Mamiya Universal and Super 23 Press cameras also with an interchangeable 6x9 roll-film back,

<li>The modern (but rather expensive) wonderful Alpa 12 WA and SWA cameras with a 6x9 roll-film back, with Rodenstock, Schneider or Zeiss interchangeable large format lenses,

<li>In the past decades, several brands like Bush-Pressman, Horseman, Graflex, Linhof or MPP manufactured folding cameras, with a roll-film back in 6x9 format. The production of these models has been cancelled several years ago, but they can always be found used.

<li>Two brands still manufacture dedicated 6x9 cameras, in so-called "23" format : Ebony and Linhof.

<li> All 4x5" modern wood or metal folding cameras like Ebony, Horseman, Linhof, Tachihara, Toyo, Wista, can be equipped with a roll-film back in 6x9 format. Among them, only two (Linhof Master Technika and Wista RF) can be used handheld because they have a rangefinder and lenses coupled with cams.

</ul>

All are portable cameras, but no one is a Single Lens Reflex, nor has an integrated metering system.<br>

Jean-Louis, are you aware of the Graflex? I am, so I assert the existence of single lens reflex cameras with 2.25" x 3.25" gates. Graflex, not Speed Graphic, and yes, Folmer & Schwing and their successors used very confusing terminology. Graflexes are SLRs, Graphics (Speed, Crown, Century) are press cameras. I've held a 2x3 Graflex in my hands. They exist.

J-L, are you aware of Mentor or Sinar reflexes? I forgot them when I pointed Joe at the Rittreck. And then there are a variety of UK-made 2x3 SLRs. Ever heard of Thornton-Pickard?

None of these things have onboard meters, but they all exist and some are even still in use.

Do you agree with me that assertions of non-existence are dangerous?

Cheers,

Dan

"Fuji also made another 6x9 camera, the GL 690, which looks like the GW and GSW, but with interchangeable lenses from 50mm to 180mm, and also without metering system"

The 100/3.5 Auto lens for the GL690 rangefinder camera provides aperture priority and AE flash capability. Of course, Fuji lenses are among the sharpest in the business. The 680 SLR camera is a brute and is only useful as a studio camera.

Thank you everybody for your interest and help, having read all your comments I may reconsider what I am looking for and consider a rangefinder 6x9, possibly a Fuji as mentioned above. The gsw looks like an overgrown 35mm camera in shape and looks to be portable enough to manage handheld if needs be.

Thanks again for all the help and advise.

Joe.T

Just to let you know, I've purchased the Thornton-Pickard, having seen the link here, just to see what it is like (it went for 44.95 GBP inc P&P, so not too bad...). When I recieve it, and if I can run a film through, I'll post the results. Not entirely sure about handholding, but we'll see.

James

Dan,<br>

I hope you're kidding.<br>

I always take a lot of precautions when I make such an answer. That's why I wrote : <i>"All 6x9 cameras <u>I know</u>"</i>, and then I quoted several modern or old cameras. I never claimed that my list was totally exhaustive, thus I wrote : <i>"Probably some other ones have been manufactured in the past"</i><br>

Of course I know the Graflex RB type B and C, and the Folmer & Schwing and the Mentor and the Thornton-Pickard, (which is somewhere a copy of the Graflex RB), and the ... etc...<br>

But these cameras are rather old and rare ones, and if they can be sometimes found used, they don't constitute the largest series of 6x9 cameras.<br>

I tried to enumerate a large and as-exhaustive-as-possible list of 6x9 cameras to help Joe, and I don't agree when you write <i>"assertions of non-existence are dangerous?"</i><br>

What would be the danger ? That's ridiculous.<br>

You exaggerate and I do not think that to write it had been able to constitute a danger for whoever.<br>

Joe, do you consider that my assertion was, to some extent, dangerous ?<p>

I tried to make a rather complete and detailed work in order to give him a lot of informations about 6x9 cameras.<br>

It's always easier to arrive on the battlefield after the battle and to say "shame on you, guy, you forgot this one and that one".<br>

I am quite sure that my "dangerous answer" helped Joe a lot more than your remark. But nobody is perfect.<br>

Jean-Louis, you wrote "If I answer strictly to your question, considering that a "SLR" is a Single Lens Reflex, and that a rangefinder camera or a folding camera with groundglass are not SLRs, there is no 6x9 SLR camera." A false statement. I was surprised by your news so presented counterexamples and needled you a little.

I think you intended to tell Joe that none of the aged 6x9 SLRs he might eventually find would suit him well. It would have been better to be direct and say that instead of denying the existence of 6x9 SLRs. That said, it is also good to answer the underlying question -- in effect, Joe asked for directions to a larger version of the 6x7 Pentax, but what he seems to have wanted was a 6x9 camera that would do well for landscape photography -- instead of addressing the surface of the question actually posted.

Now let's go back to coexisting peacefully.

Regards,

Dan

Please, Dan, keep the needles apart. If you absolutely need to be right, you're right.<br>

6x9 SLRs exist. I apologize, and I'll never do it again. That's too dangerous.<p>

Joe would like to buy something modern : a portable SLR, with integrated metering system.<br>

If somebody asked for a wooden 4x5" camera to begin in large format photography, the first brands I would suggest would be Wista, Wisner, Ebony, or Shen-Hao, not Seneca, Folmer & Schwing, Deardorff or Rochester ! ;>))<br>

An old photographer who would like to enjoy some different aspects of MF cameras would undoubtedly be pleased with a Graflex RB type D. (I nearly bought one 2 weeks ago). But probably not a beginner.<br>

Frankly, I answered to the "superficial question" only because I didn't even noticed the "underlying question". That's very simple.<p>

For landscape, several cameras, like the Fuji GW or GSW 690 would be very good ones. Light and robust. But a fixed lens and no meter.<br>

The Pentax 67 is a great camera for landscapes, and many photographers use it with great results. But no interchangeable back.<br>

On another hand, I consider that this "ideal format" 6x7 is too close from the square format. Just my opinion. I prefer either a 6x6 or a 6x9.<br>

Joe, you would like to find a 6x9 camera for landscapes. Just note that 6x9 is the last format before the panoramics, 6x12 or 6x17, which are great ones for landscapes.<br>

If you could abstract from the embedded metering system, and look at a handheld meter, (Note that such a meter would IMO be second to none for landscapes) you would probably be interested by a light 6x9 bellows folding camera, wooden or metal. For landscape, and on a tripod, these cameras are as easy (if not easier) to use than heavy metal 6x7 cameras like the Pentax or Mamiyas, and the pleasure is IMO greater.<br>

A bag with a complete Pentax 67 or Mamiya system is considerably heavier than a Horseman or an Ebony 23.<br>

But that's also a (peaceful) opinion.;>)<br>

Joe,

A little late but yoill find lots of threads on the Fujim 6x9 rangefinders. They are

sometimes called the Texas Leica. I have been using a GW690II for 10 years and can tell

you that it is one tough camera with superb optics. I use a tripod when I can but can also

easily handhold it down to 1/30th.

You won't be disappointed in this camera.

• 5 years later...