AF 24-50/3.3-4.5

aravind raman

Hi All,

Recently, i went to the market to buy a 24/2.8 lens, but came across,

this particular lens, the lens( second hand) was looking good, but

wanted to know about the performance.

I already own a 50mm and i don't have anything less than this.

What do you suggest?

Aravind

I use to own two at different times. A decent performer especially stopped down 2 stops. Not as sharp as either prime at the same apertures but much more convenient for daylight street shooting or general travel. I believe the 25-50/4 is the sharpest lens Nikon made in that range if interested.

It's a good lens and a great value. In fact, I didn't realize how good mine was until I sold it.

It's very sharp stopped down to f5.6, and fairly light to carry.

I has the usual Nikon wide angle distortion at the edges, and is prone to flare. I would

suggest getting the lens hood.

If you're on a budget, this is a great wide angle zoom.

This seems like one to skip. Why not get a 24-85 instead, or the 24-120VR (or D). Ya, yaya these lenses arn't as sharp. Moose Peterson, who makes his living off photography seems to think they are sharp enough. I can't wait till they make a 20-85 - a true do anything lens.

This has been one of my favorite lenses for over 12 years. (It was one of Bob Krist's favorites also.) It is light and has a nice working range for scenics and general travel. It has been dropped, soaked, and generally abused, but keeps on ticking. At a local photo competition, photos of Mono Lake, Tierra del Fuego, and Iguazu Falls which were all taken with this lens, got rave reviews. The hood that is recomended is rather minimal, however it does offer mechanical protection. Try it you'll like it!