58mm 1:1.2 FL experiences?

trw

I have use a 55mm/1.2 lens, which is newer than your 58mm/1.2 lens. Most likely, it will soft wide open and sharper after 4.0-5.6. It will a good lens for soft focus portraits and for softer images overall when used from 1.2-4. Canon may have tried to make the 58mm length the "normal" length.

It's a stop down metering fast primes lens of less then steller reputation soft wide open and only averae stopped down it was a very short run design which tells you it wasn't well excepted in the market which is a good indicator of what photogrpahers thought of it.

-From a performance point of view just about every other FL and FD mount 50-55mm lens Canon offered out performs it.

58mm was once the 'normal' lens - ie, the 50mm of its time. If you mount a 58mm lens and look through the SLR viewfinder, you should notice that you can leave both eyes open - the magnification is the same.

I have the 55mm 1.2 FL lens and a (broken) 58mm 1.2. I like the 55mm 1.2, it is soft wide open but nice to be able to see through it to focus in low-light situations. Otherwise, I reach for a rangefinder. Great lens and one of my favorites.

Best,

Wiggy