Hey, where are your Lightspere II samples? :)

suzanne carey

Hi guys! I started a thread about a month ago asking for sample

wedding pictures with Gary Fong's Lightsphere II. Several of you

said you would be using yours at upcoming weddings. I would love to

see some examples if you have them! :)

PS - sorry if you already shared them and I missed them!

Suzanne

Suzanne,I don't have any handy but I will say that I think it is worth the trouble to use one.I just did a shoot outdoors and the sun came out kind of harsh right when we started shooting. I added the lightsphere and used fill flash and got much more even full body fill than I would have gotten otherwise.Outdoors you keep the endcap on and aim directly at the subject.

Hi Suzanne, I don't think I saw your post a month ago but here's a shot that I used a Lightsphere with. It was in very bright morning sun unfortunately. I'm still getting the hang of it and don't quite have all the nuances down but it seems to work pretty well. Mine keeps falling off my flash; fortunately it hasn't done it at a bad moment - looks like I'll need some tape. Best wishes . . .<div>00Bp7y-22831484.jpg.8685082e7097a9d46372a80268bd0b91.jpg</div>

Thanks everyone for sharing! The picture of the bride shows how it may have helped lighten her face instead of having harsh shadows. John, I especially love that last one. It actually seems very natural, like it does not look like you used a flash and diffuser.

Thanks again!

Suzanne

Good question Colleen! I guess it does look kind of funny, but just think how many people may think you have this big fancy flash! :) I have read in other forums about how wonderful it works vertical, without the use of a bracket! Now I cannot speak from personal experience, but I have heard good things. I have mine on order so I hope to get it soon. I would like to do some tests using Omnibounce vs LSII. I love my Omnibounce, but would like to eliminate bracket IF I can. But I would also like to know how and when others have used it during the ceremony/reception.

Thanks!

All of these examples are vertical. You don't need a bracket...that was kind of the whole

point of the Lightsphere.

Another cool tip is that you

don't have to rotate your Flash back to the front for Horizontal shots. (as long as you

aren't using a Focus Assist light and your FLash is TTL)

jmp

"You don't need a bracket with it..." As long as you're happy flipping the flash head on

your $400+ flash back and forth until it snaps off one day (they are plastic!) Another

limitation of using the LSII instead of a bracket is that your light will be coming from stage

left, not overhead (on every shot). I use the LSII with a Custom Bracket and it works great,

except when it decides to tumble off onto the floor with a big racket! All in all it is a nice

accessory which I heartily recommend, with a bracket.

What I have never seen is a photo here of someone using an on-camera flash (e.g., a Canon Speedlite 550EX or 580EX) along with a Lightsphere -- a photo of the photographer and his/her setup in action, dare I say; sort of like "explains all" how-to photo.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried this out as a less expensive solution to the lightsphere? it may not look as elegant but i bet it does just as good of a job. i figure it's probably not too hard to cut out a rectangular hole and fit the flash onto the top and connect the bottom as the dome.

REDA Food saver, set of 5 http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=11013&langId=-1&parentCats=10108*10214 (you have to click "enlarge image" to see the picture)

ikea only sells it for $2 and you get 5 different sizes. if you get it dirty, it's dishwasher safe.