Does anyone know what kind of emulsion was used for those Kodak 126

films in the 90's? Was it the same emulsion used in gold films, or

was it some other. If not, which generation/technology would that

film fit into?

p.s. the reason I'm asking is because I've found some old pictures

fromt he 126 format and the look is quite different from the usual

90's technology, so I thought, perhapse that film was using some

older generation emulsion.

I don't have the negatives. But I remember the boxes said kodacolor on them, now I remembered. Must be the last generation of consumer Kodacolor before Gold came.

But now I found a side on the web wich has all the labels cataloged, and its noted that gold 200 was allso packed in 126 format.

So now I really don't know what made the different look. Perhapse the old lenses from the camera.

Anyway, the difference that I can point my finger on are sort of like this: the colors look softer, more sublte and "textural", the overexposure is different (softer and pale), the underexposure of skintones looks different (more neutral, not that usual "overbaked" look) And the overall color balance seems more blue-er in prints on a normal sunny day.

<p>It's probably due to the cheap plastic lens in your Instamatic :-)</p>

<p>Slightly more seriously, I used to have an 126 Instamatic when I was a kid; at about the same time, I had a real camera (a <a href="http://www.mirandacamera.com/_modelinfo/modelinfo.htm#Sensomat" target="_blank">Miranda Sensomat RE</a> 35mm SLR). The last time I used 126 was in 1984, and the film edge reads "KODAK SAFETY." The Kodak 35mm film I used just before that, also in 1984, reads "KODAK SAFETY FILM 5035", and the next film I have after that which says Kodak on it was "KODAK CM 400 5079" from 1986. So I probably can't help you much.</p>

Yes I bought a roll of Gold 200 126 last year. This was from a corner store that had old film still on the shelf. It was dated 1994 and she sold it to me for full price. Nice aye? They still have one roll left. Regardless I shot with it and it actually turned out with no fog. Granted the shots were horrible being on a cheapy plastic lens Kodak instamatic.

• 3 months later...
126 was cut from the same sheet emulsions used for consumer 35 rolls, but instead of perforations on the top and bottom of the film in 35, it only had one running. Kodacolor 100, 200 and 400 were the most common speeds in the later years as most simple 126 cameras were "Indexed" for 80 and 200, later 400 ASA films. I have and still use a Rolleiflex SL26; a great little camera. One can still get Italian Solaris 200 126 film and now one can procure ADOX 200 color film (a copy of Solaris) made in Croatia! If you can find a developer who will do 126, Solaris yields decent color and contrast. While most Instamatics were made for very basic ameture use with cheap, simple lenses, there were some well made, high end 126 cameras with good lenses. 3 SLR with interchangible lenses came from Kodak Instamatic Reflex (made by Zeiss Ikon, I think, with 5 Schneider lenses: 35, 45, 80, 135, 200), a Ricoh with 3 lenses and the best was the Rolleiflex with 3 Zeiss lenses. Some excellent results could be had with these cameras.

• 1 year later...

I have just loaded my ROLLEI A26 with Solaris 126/24 exp,

200 speed I think, having just learnt that Castle Cameras of

Bournemouth England will process 126 Print Film.

I do rather love my out of the ordinary Cameras!!

When the "square" film is shot, we can then go back to the

Nikon 600i with half a roll of Fuji APS slide film left,

hoping that it is holding its speed, as its well out of

date ( but stored frozen) and been in the Camera 3 hot months.

stargazertycho.