Processing in Osaka

Hey Matthew,

<p>

I was living in Tokyo for a few years but visited Osaka a few times. While in Tokyo I had my film developed at the big electronic stores like Bic Camera and Yodobashi. The prices for both stores in just about everything, including film processing and scanning, are exactly the same. I remember there was a HUGE Yodobashi store in Osaka. Umeda area I think?

<p>

I'm assuming you're probably thinking about having negatives scanned to CD. However, I only have experience with having slide film scanned and from what I remember, they charge you a basic fee of about 700 to 800 yen for setup, and then about 20 yen for each frame you want to scan. The downside is that this price only gets you a 2 megapixel scan, not enough to do any serious professional digital work on. This applies to 35mm film and I'm not quite sure if the prices are different for medium format. For negatives however, I would think the prices should be cheaper.

<p>

They can do higher resolution scans but the price was much more than I wanted to pay. Depending on how much film you want to have scanned it could be a lot cheaper to just purchase your own film scanner, if you have the free time to scan them yourself.

<p>

Lastly, here's a link to an excellent site (in English) on anything to do with photography in Japan: <a href="http://photojpn.org/dir/listings.php?cmd=viewlistB&cid=186">Photo Labs in Osaka</a>.

<br>

Be sure to check out the rest of the site as there's tons of info on it.

Darrin,

Thanks very much for your advice. I was planning on Yodoboshi but just wanted to check

if anyone knew of a smaller shop that might be cheaper. If I do give them the

undeveloped negs will they still only provide 2 meg files? That seems awfully small.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to check out the link.

Matthew,

<p>

They do offer higher resolution scans but from what I found out, the price was not economical for my needs. Sorry but I don't remember what the exact prices were. But like I said, if you plan on scanning a lot of film it would be best to just purchase your own film scanner like the Nikon Coolscan or Minolta Dimage and do it yourself. You'll end up with file sizes big enough for just about anything you plan on doing with them and the scanner will actually end up paying for itself in a short time, compared to getting them scanned at a store.

I guess Palette plaza is cheaper.

If your negatives developed, scanning cost is 500yen for 1sheet(both 36exp and 24exp).Or 500yen each to develop your film at the same time. I don't know how many meg it is. They only told me it's 1840x1232 pixels...

http://www.80210.com/palette/shoplist/index.html

I recommend to you do it at CREATE or HORIUCHI COLOR if you need better result.

CREATE:2-3-18Asahi build. Nakano-shima Kita-ku Osaka City

TEL06-6203-9801

HORIICHI COLOR:3-17Banzai-cho Kita-ku Osaka City

TEL(06)6364-0881

Have a fun.