First time shooting motor sport

scott_lewis3

Panning is a hit and miss affair Scott, around 125th of a sec and whatever aperture to get a correct exposure, Sometimes I fit a polariser to drop the light levels a couple of stops.

Practise, practise, practise,(not so financially painful now you have that lovely Minolta Digital SLR ;-)

Spot meter if you rig has that capability, maybe open up one stop to get some shadow detail if lighting conditions require it.

Just like shooting a shotgun make sure you follow through after you have pulled the trigger. Get a good lead in for the focus to lock and pick your composition.

You have a nice one there with number 14 bike rider, and some other ones that just need a bit more practise.

I reckon when things are sorted out that one in five frames that have come out as you visualised when you pressed the shutter would be a good average<div>00CNdj-23851284.jpg.4f28e2c2aa8d9ad14f0fef48a290db43.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

Panning is a hit and miss situation. I shoot film and have not spent much time with panning. Digital is perfect for this since you can simply discard all the images that do not work. I will try to attach a sample below from last month.

You did have some good luck with your panning though, so keep it up!<div>00CbG2-24223884.jpg.335b785baeaefc6cef1584b7b5540dce.jpg</div>