Old Rebel-type bodies to supplement Digital Rebel?

wbowman

How reliable are older Rebel film bodies? When I travel I shoot mostly

with a Digital Rebel, but I like to shoot some film (especially B&W

and low-contrast color). Up to now I've been dragging either something

from my collection of MF Nikon gear (FM, FE2, AI lenses) or a Minolta

7s II. I'm thinking about buying an older Rebel on auction to carry

around instead. I would mostly use a 50mm or 35mm prime with it, but

I'd like the option to share lenses with the digital (not the EF-S kit

lens, of course). I'm not too concerned about features as I will

welcome even a basic P mode and slow AF. I'm more concerned about how

long these things really work. It looks like a lot of people are

unloading their SLRs when they buy a digital. Are these plastic

outcasts still good user bodies or should I spend much more for a mid-

or pro-level body? If the answer is "no" to the Rebels what are your

alternative suggestions?

I've had a Rebel Xs since 1995 and it is a tough little camera. I typically grab my EOS 3, but when I need something smaller or don't want to bring an EX flash unit, the Rebel Xs works just fine. I think about selling it to help finance lens purchases but never do. Someday I'll pass it to me daughter, great for small hands.

If you are happy with the digital rebel then you should be fine with a film one. I had a rebel 2000 (300) and a digital rebel and they went well together. Since you have a digital rebel you probably aren't in the habit of beating around you camera so the film rebel should hold up fine. Now that I have a 20D I dislike the film rebel because the interface is different.

Well I use a 500N/Rebel G for exactly that purpose, it's 15 yrs old and still as good as new and never put a foot wrong. It's lightwieght, reliable, nothing special just does the job.

On the other hand with all the cheap SLR film bodies about why not get something better, it's at the back of my mind to do that just not sure what to get.

As far as electronics and general mechanical reliability go,canon EOS cameras are insanely reliable

<BR>I'm a small time 2nd hand camera equipment dealer so i would see dud examples if there were many around.There are VERY few though.

<BR>Those that die tend to be drowned or dropped from a great height

<P>The exceptions are:

<BR>Older EOS (600,700,800 series,100,10)-these are subject to the decaying shutter bump rubber syndrome.

<BR>In truth later models may be partly susceptable but they tend not to be old enough yet for it to show up. It is fixable but costs so much that it's not worth it.Just clean it off the shutter baldes and keep using it 'till it dies.

<BR>EOS 50/elanII -some minor issues with batteries that aren't long enough to press on the contacts hard enough

<BR>EOS 5/A2 - a problem with the main dial breaking it's tiny parts off

<P>I heartilly recommend any of the small entry level bodies from the EOS 500/rebel Xs onwards

<br>They are tiny,incredibly light and have allmost all the features one could want,including full manual control

Bear in mind the Rebel 2000 only shoots at 1.5 fps. You may find that slow after being use to the Rebel Digital. Besides the sensor, they're pretty much the same camera - differences are 1.5 frames per second, 1/2000 max shutter speed, TTL only internal flash (so no FEL w/o an external flash).