SXX

25asa

Couldn't stand it! After looking at my vintage roll of 35mm Super XX for a couple of days, I loaded it in my old XE-5 and shot ten frames at E.I's ranging from 12 to 100. I was expecting nothing, but the lower E.I. settings actually had images (badly fogged of course) You can even just make out Super XX on the film edge. I will try to get a print and scan later.

Interesting. I love to look at the old boxes. I wonder what year Kodak changed to the yellow/brown color scheme for Panatomic-X? Tri-X inherited the yellow/green box design from Super-XX.

BTW, I got a print from my outdated Super-XX. I won't have access to a scanner until Monday, but I will scan and post.

Funny how time passes and we forget what things were really like or how our perception of the "good old days" mellow.

Recently I printed some street shots of New York City for a woman whos father had shot them back in the late 50's and early 60's. The film was Super XX. I thought, cool, I had not seen this stuff in years and got all excited. I compared the prints them with some made recently from 4x5 TXP and Rodinal in 4x5.

No comparison, the modern Tri-X was heads and tails above the Super XX in sharpness, tonal smoothness and fine grain.

I gues in 50 years we will all look back and talk about the old and magical 400TX.

Forgot the technical details of the above (very grainy) picture: D-76 stock @ 68 degrees for 20 minutes (just like original 1950 data sheet in box called for). For this picture I had set the meter for E.I. 12.

I may shoot the rest of the roll at similar low E.I.'s but soup it in Microphen. Any ideas for a time?

• 3 weeks later...