How long will a Polaroid 55 positive last?

paul_viapiano

Paul:

I am going to suggest that you are going to get a lot of wildly varying answers to this - perhaps contact Polaroid directly? Not that they may know the answer:) But - you never know ...

I have the Ansel Adams Polaroid book - I will look into it later & see if there are any references to this aspect.

Lasltly - is this because you do not wish to coat or that you have some uncoated prints?

Paul,

I have some 55 positives that were made in 1994, coated and placed in archival negative sleeves next to the negative for reference that still look like I think they did when I made them. They have been stored all the while in the sleeves which are in notebooks. So maybe since they are coated, wrapped in archival material, and stored away from direct light they look this good.

Kind Regards,

Darr

Paul:

I understand the desire to not coat - way back we had to coat all polaroids prior to I believe SX-70 prints.

I say take your chances but if it were me I would coat them if you plan on keeping them - my guess is that Polaroid would not bother with the coater aspect if it was not needed as it has to be a pain to package & make all of it.

Not long. I've seen degradation in a matter of days in the sun, and weeks when stored in a dark place. I experienced this when doing just a sloppy job of applying the coater. On the other hand, Type 54 B&W doesn't require coating and takes beautiful positives with a broad tonal range and has a pretty accurate ISO rating. I use type 54 when I need a print, and Type 55 for a neg, but seldom try to get a decent print from the latter.

I have coated Type 55 prints from the early 70's that look good with no loss of shadow or highlight detail and barely discernible discolouration. I think that you need to use the Polaroid coater if you want your prints to last. The ones I haven't bothered to coat but left in the wastebasket haven't lasted very long at all before noticeable change.

Best, Helen

I don't believe it is light or dark that is the major factor. The coating is a polymer which keeps air/oxidation from the print. And I can see changes in a very short time, 20-30 minutes, if I don't coat a print right away. You lose the highlights first. So give 'em a coat right away if you want to keep them fresh.