When will the new XT be announced?

scott_milso

I'm getting along quite well with a borrowed XT, if they announce a new xt soon

(Rumor has it it will be an XTi, released in Jan) then the price will drop on

the xt and maybe on the 20d and 30d. I'd hate to buy now and find I could have

gotten a 20d for the same money a month latter.

Sorry, don't mean to start rumors.

Scott -- "I'd hate to buy now and find I could have gotten a 20d for the same money a month latter."

Unfortunately, digital cameras (uncluding dSLRs) are like computers.

You buy today only to find out, that tomorrow the price already goes down, and in 6 month the next generation of bodies is thrown on the market (hitting on the value of your camera body another time).

But dont forget, that a camera (digital or not) will not work

less good if the newer models are out! You want to shoot pictures now, then buy now. You can wait for the XTi/GTi/VR-OS-CCD-CPi or whatever,

then wait for that...but whatever you do, the next model will only be another few moth away.

Rainer

Great answers, made me laugh, I knew that was comming. Are you sure it's not 12:32 Feb 16?

Seriously, I realize that when a new one is announced it doesn't make the old one worse. Just in my situation, I have one that I can borrow and use pretty much whenever I want, so I can afford to wait a little bit for a better price or model, yet I want my own, so I'll wait a little if there is value in doing so, if there is no changes until next summer, that's a different story, then I will just buy now.

Scott,

Canon will certainly show something new on the Photokina 2006 in Koeln/Germany (which is starting end of september), but if that

will be a new dSLR body, some EF lenses, some P&Ss or just a new logo ... anly Canon knows, and only time will tell.

So it might be worth to wait, but as well, may be not.

Rainer

You can a new XT right now. Many camera shops in big cities sell BRAND NEW XT's.

Rumors shmumors! Canon quit innovating with the XT as it lost the Ergonomic Battle and Flash-off to Nikon D70 and its strobes. ;-)

Latest rumor is that Canon will announce 2 new bodies on/before Aug. 31 (of this year) since Nikon and Sony now use the Sony 10MP 1.5 crop sensor (10MP is really too much resolution for cheap lenses).

"10MP is really too much resolution for cheap lenses."

Yeah, but that's the beauty of (d)SLRs: you can always upgrade your glass!

My greatest concern with higher resolution on a 1.6x sensor is more high ISO noise. But then again, Canon continues to amaze and astound in this regard.

The next technological revolution (revelation?) is always just around the corner. Isn't that essentially what Canon is promising with its "legend" web banner teasers?

<p>Given the fact of constant upgrade cycles for digital cameras, one can...

<ol>

<li>continue to use whatever camera until it dies, like in the film days - but these aren't

the film days any more. Today the camera <i>is</i> the film.</li>

<li>buy every new camera that comes out right away. Expensive, and soon the

improvement turns

out to be less significant than it seemed when you purchased the camera.

<li>buy new cameras 6-9 months after introduction. Less expensive.

<li>buy new camera every <i>other</i> release cycle (about 3 years) or when MP

doubles. (Other issues might compel buying out of cycle, such as move from cropped to

full frame...)

<li>buy older model used when new models come out - from someone following plan #2

who needs cash <i>now</i>.

</ol>

<p>Personally, I lean toward a combintaion of #3 and #4 - and focusing my photography

investments on better lenses.

<p>Whatever approach you follow (well, OK, with the exception of #1), the introduction of

new camera models is an important inflection point in making your decision.

<p>If you are looking at an XT and making the assumption that the "370D/XTi" or similar

will

soon be announced, the decision probaby comes down a question of whether you would

rather save some money on the quite decent current 350D or spend a bit more for

whatever "better" features may be available from the new model. If you aren't in a big

hurry, this is probably a good time to hang on to your money for a few weeks or perhaps a

couple months.

<p>Fortunately for you, you are "getting along quite well with a borrowed XT" right now -

so no

need to hurry your purchase.

<p>We'll all learn a lot more in upcoming weeks and months.

<p>Dan

"4. buy new camera every other release cycle (about 3 years) or when MP doubles. (Other

issues might compel buying out of cycle, such as move from cropped to full frame...)"

This makes the most sense, but every third release cycle would be better. I'd have been

wasting my money upgrading my 10D to a 20D or 30D, but a 5D seems like a worthwhile

buy. I'm still waiting, though, on the off hand that they release another affordable full frame

model.

I played dumb and walked into Gasser's (SF) and he said "early Sept. or Sept. 1 from Canon" but he had no clue on which body. He then showed me a 350D he has in stock (and a brand new $1800, 70-200 2.8 L I.S.).

I threw out 1D? 5D? 30D? And he didn't know which would be replaced soon.