EOS 350D DOF preview?

design8r

It stops the lens down to the aperture you've set in the camera.

The best way to see what it's doing is to start with the lens wide open and the camera on a tripod. Focus on a subject close to you and hold the DOF Preview button down. With the preview button depressed and held, decrease the aperture one value at a time. Watch how the DOF increases.

It's like squinting but for your camera.

As Rob has said the DoF preview button stops the lens down to the aperture you have set, which is why it goes darker. As the viewfinder is looking through the lens and the lens is now stopped down, what you see is what you will be getting.

With the 350D tiny viewfinder it may not be much help except in very bright light. DoF preview is probably of more value in cameras with better/bigger viewfinders.

Give your eye some time to adjust to the lower light level at the stop-down aperture.

Most manual focus 35mm cameras have a mechanical DOF preview which you might use to stop down in degrees - the more you press the button the more you stop down. You can sort of do this with an electronic viewfinder by stopping down gradually (in aperture priority mode turn your dial, say from f/4 to f/16) while you are still pressing the DOF preview button (at your own risk of course). This method helps me.

Graduated ND filters would be one use - when you are sliding them lower in the holder, the stopped down viewfinder makes it easier for you to see where the transition on the filter starts so you can position it accordingly in the shot. More so with one or two stop filters than with 3 or 4 stop filters - I can use 3 stop (0.9) GND transition area with my f/2.8 or faster lenses wide open.