Photojournalist's dilemna

I'll keep it simple. I like to shoot photojournalism. I have a 10D

that I like only because it's digital. I miss my EOS 1n and EOS 3, for

speed and fit & finish.

If you were like me and found a good deal on a slightly used original

EOS 1D, would you go for it?

(I don't print too big usually, but I have Genuine Fractals so I can

if I want.)

Will the extra two megapixels be missed?

For your situation,I don't think there's much of a dilemma. People were still paying a premium price for the 1D after the 10D came out, precisely because it met their needs better. In your case, build and speed are more important than MP, so don't feel shy about it.

Operationally, the 1D is an infinitely more useable camera than the 10D. Resolution is

excellent though noise is significantly higher at all ISO's. Despite what many have said, I

found overall image quality was pretty poor in the 1D compared to newer models. Also

battery life is relatively poor and in-camera jpg's had a weird yellow-green cast (fixable

with a custom tone curve, I've heard). I didn't miss the 2 MP in resolution, but , I still

decided not to keep the 1D.

My main gripes with the 10D were frame rate and buffer depth, and the 20D filled those

needs adequately for me.

Like you, I still prefer the 1-series interface and bright VF. I may upgrade to the MkII if

prices drop much more (They're below $3k now, used of course...)

-brad

The 1D will be an excellent camera, even now. Whether it's worth to you only you can answer that question.

Its AF, metering, weather proofing and general handling are much like the 1v so, you can't go wrong. Of course, it's not the "state of the art" compared the newer 1D MKii. However, it is still a very professional tool.

As a working Photojournalist who uses a Canon 1D everyday as my main camera, I can't think of any other digital camera I would rather use. The chip is a 100% so a wide angle is a wide angle, no shutter lag, fast processer that will keep up with the camera.You will not miss the 2 megs. what's not to like ..............and the best part is I just use it,and did not have to pay for it.

i've never been a photojournalist or used a 1D. i write because i passed on a 1D to get a 10D because of the iso noise issue. my previous camera was a d30 and i have found the iso improvement in the 10D really helpful for indoor sports and plays. outdoors, it doesn't matter that much. i understand the 1D handles shadow detail better than the 10D, which in my opinion does not handle it terribly well. and i understand resolution and focus speed are better. so re iso, 800 and 1600 are what i am thinking about, and i've even used the 3200 with neat image to get good results. of course this is not simple. so that's my two cents for what it's worth, hope it helps.

Thanks, all. I've decided not to take a step backward from the 10D and instead save my money for the 1D MkII. If I really need the speed, I can always use my 1n and some good old b&w film. B&W film seems to be the only thing keeping my 35mm cameras in service!

I had your exact dilema. I wanted to move over to digital but was used to my solid fast and intuitive EOS 3. After months of research and testing I purchased the D20. After using it for some time now, I have to admit that it's amazing. It's fast in every way, and it works flawlessly with my 550ex master and 420ex slaves. I would not however, buy it without the battery grip BG-E2. Although the 1D is a great camera, the Digital Tech inside is showing it's age fast. Still the used price of the 1D is on par with the price of the new D20. I choose the D20 and am now convinced that I have made the right choice.<div>00C61W-23330684.JPG.18f8fd74de68650992866b173a6700cd.JPG</div>

nope. I think the 20D is a better camera for almost everyone. It is not as tough and it's not

weather proof so if those are critical get the 1D, but it makes better images and has a

much improved ETTL-II. It is much better in low light and has cleaner high ISO. All in all,

you'll get better images from it most of the time. Some still will find a 1D a better solution

but most will find the 20D better. A photojounalist shooting for a paper might prefer a 1D

since newspaper pics don't need any real quality anyway (in terms of pixel quality and

sharpness etc).