Stuck in the middle

This isn't so much of a question, since I'm mostly resolved on the

issues. It's more a statement of a moment.

I would have liked to have learned to make my own ilfochrome prints

in my own home. It would have been fun, and it would have helped me

understand photography a little better.

I talked to the guys at the local photo gear store recently, and the

concensus was that there's not much point in building a darkroom for

chromes now. Among other reasons, the chemicals are too hard to

get. A younger guy (say, 5 years younger) piped in to begin the

digital conversation . . . film scanner . . . printer . . .

epson . . . yours-is-too-old-to-do-what-you-want . . .

I'm too busy to do things that I know I don't like doing. I quickly

thought of three reasons why I don't want to "go digital": 1) money,

2) computers are boring, and 3) I like chromes and chrome prints

better.

There's a great local printer that does beautiful ilfochromes, so I

can still get the prints I like, but I'm missing out on the training

and experience of the print.

If I was a few years older, I would likely already have a darkroom.

If I was a few years younger, digital would be my language. So,

here's to the inbetween.

Maybe the local printer will let me in on Saturday afternoons.

aho

What utter rubbish! Why shouldn't you build a darkroom for chromes? Because of Digital? HA! What a load of nonsense!

Digital isn't better or worse, it's just different. A different way of working, a different set of skills and a different set of problems, many of which seem just as intractable as the old chemical process issues seem to be.

The question is what do YOU really want to do? Make up you mind and follow your heart.

Personally I haven't really noticed a lack of availablity of Ilfochrome materials or E-6 or C-41 or RA-4. In fact I have just added an Omega D5 with a color head to my darkroom for working with LF.

I won't go digital because I spend all day staring at a monitor at work. It is not my idea of fun to stare at a monitor at home, particularly since I work with imaging software all day. So I follow my heart and stay with chemical and silver halides.

So don't let some "too old" or "inbetween technologies" nonsense sway you. Go digital because you actually want to and feel the medium suits you and learn those skills. Go with chromes for exactly the same reasons.

One thing I can assure you though is that there is nothing like having your own darkroom to work in (or digital workstation for that matter). Borrowing time from someone else will never seem as satisfying.

Bear in mind there are still people using the daguerreotype process because they like its esthetics.

Jeremy

"3) I like chromes and chrome prints better." Then set up your own darkroom and forget about all the nonsense these guys at your local photo gear store told you.

I still use fountain pens even though they have been 'discontinued' years ago... My point is; just do what feels best for you, if want to learn how to make ilfochrome prints at home, do so, there is no good reason not to.

Andrew,<BR>

I will jump on the bandwagon and say "try a darkroom". I enjoy dinking around with computers, but when I'm in my own (only B&W at the moment) darkroom, there is just a cool feeling to it. It's fun, and way out of the ordinary for us young guys. A totaly different set of skills!<BR>

Jed

Hello Andrew,

First of all, it's never too late to get a darkroom going. I would suggest to do both, began to build your dark room and for now, use your local Ilfochrome printer and build a relationship. You will learn an amazing amount of information just by using them for printing. Be honest with them and let them know your goal, they just might help you on your way.

Regarding the chemicals:

Most Ilfochrome printers deal directly with a USA Ilford rep, and the local printer might be a good source for chemicals and paper.

If you don't mind me asking...where is your location?

Good Luck

Shane

I agree with all the responses you received. Go where your heart is! Last year, I earned a 2 month sabattical from work. So I put together a darkroom (enlarger on a sears craftsman rolling tool chest, drums, etc.) and learned how to make color prints. I love it! My friends thought I was crazy for not going digital. I'm not afraid of computers (I used to be an electrical engineer by profession), but as others have pointed out, I spend enough time in front of a computer as it is. In my opinion, nothing still beats a good optical print (but dye-subs do come very close). So, do what you think is fun. Many people tend to forget that simple word...fun!

I set up a dark room for my daughter she was 13 at the time. Well as sometimes happen a wife and husband no longer stay together but they still have friendships and the same children. I left the darkroom with my ex and children they used it and I did also but they needed more room I now have it set up in my apartment and though it takes up time and room, 2 of my digi kids still come over and use it at least once a month as do I. So "If you build it they will come."