so confused... sigh.

vertigoclimb

Hello Lisa

Only the ratings aquired through the critique forum "Rate Recent" function count. How

many of your 10 ratings were aquired in this way? Did you request a Critique? And, have

people been popping by your portfolio and rating that way? - as those wont count!

Regards, Nick.

I've noticed something else strange. I looked at the highest rated photo's by the people who rated this one. It doesn't show up on anyone list. here are the numbers... So, of the 10 who rated the photo, it should show up on 6 of their highest rated photo's list. It sows up on none.

5 5 2

5 6 2

6 6 4

6 7 1

7 7 1

I've requested critiques a couple times in the past days and have seen none on the trp... so many rules... sigh. I'll just post and leave comments.

I've recently found that if I rate an image withn a folder it will be "hurt" or "punished" within the trp. Now I've found that if a request for critique isn't made immediately upon posting the same thing will happen. Thanks for the info.

Lisa, your work is generally good enough for you to not have to worry about the TRP

pages. I love it, and I found your portfolio through these forums.

There are many ways to be visible on photo.net, and by no means is the TRP the crowning

glory - its just the subjective opinion of those of us who are able to spend time trawlling

through the Request for Critique queue! - Just as the old system was biased to some

diabolical "mate-raters" - they were still good photographs (on the whole). The nice thing

about photo.net is that it allows you to see our work by many different ways - eg, I like to

look at the photographs with the most comments, and that has nothing to do with ratings!

Regards, Nick.

I don't know.. maybe I'm just discouraged. I tell my kids all the time that "if something is harder than it's worth, it's probably not worth the trouble".

I'm not getting many visitors to my folders lately. I put a counter on my portfolio page and was surprised by how few visits I've recieved. I've heard pretty loudly and many times how unwanted manipulations are. Frankly, I like to see people step outside the box and expand upon things (even photography). My thoughts about this are if no one stepped outside the box with so many different subjective things then the wheel would never have been invented. Or the camera for that matter. But, I'm a minority here with this view.

I try to leave comments but being a widow with 3 kids I have little time for myself and of that time, even less for photo.net. Of the comments I've left, I've seen many times that it's not right to leave positive feedback (I've even been told that I do this to get high ratings in return) and if I leave a comment that isn't positive I've been "told off" and down rated.

I guess I should weigh all these experiences and others on a scale and see which side weighs heavier. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe I won't feel so discouraged with my experience.

<i>I've heard pretty loudly and many times how unwanted manipulations are.</i><p>

To me your latest submissions qualify as art but no more as photos. I even like them but look at <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=484267&include=all">Ben Goossens portfolio</a> tought he also finds inspiration from paintings his works are still photos even if heavily manipulated. I even thought you had photographied your own paintings before reading your comments. But hey it's just me but you jumped out of the box and landed in another one. ;-)

Lisa you either did not notice, or still have a strong denying reaction to the fact that when you get better in your work more lonely you will become. It does not take much but just starts to be above the average. Your work is way above the average so you should be quite lonely by now. And I am not talking about most of your relatives and people around you - they always will say your work is great no matter what you show to them. I am talking about this big, wild world outside where every one is a predator trying to get a largest prey for themselves :) and tries to slay or cripple competitors. Look how little attention are given here to greatest portfolios and look how many people try to manipulate system to be on the 'top', or how many like new trp default were average pics have chance to show. Yes, you should just upload new photos to your folders (if you still have time for that) and enjoy visits from those who really like your work. The most important you should just keep working on becoming better and better just for yourself. Again you past the stage of checking rates long time ago. Best regards, Mark

Lisa, your work is great, don't worry about the TRP, which seems basically like a high school popularity contest. I've persused your work MANY times and its great...(errr, I've given up on rating for the most part, but not on enjoying peoples' work :-)).

Lisa, for what it is worth, don't give up your passion for what you create - you create wonderful compositions. I find great pleasure in dropping by your portfolio every now and again to view your work. As to whether they are 'photographs' - well, I for one do not care. They elicit strong emotions from me and to me, that is what a good composition is all about.<br><br>

As to you having little time to devote to your passion because of kids etc - no answer for you, but you might take comfort in the fact that I'm sure many of us are in the same boat :) Chug, chugging along... :) M

Lisa,

If I counted correctly, you have 86 comments directly posted to your portfolio. I haven't seen too many other photogoraphers with that many posts to their entire portfolio. So take some reassurance from the fact that your work is being noticed by many people. If that many folks left remarks, there were no doubt many times that number who viewed but didn't leave remarks. It is difficult to figure out all the rules, especially when they keep changing, but the TRP page is functioning, IMO, better than it has in a long while. Your stuff is very original, all the way from unaltered photos to heavy PS stuff. So keep doing what you do. The rules will take care of themselves. There are over 90,000 active members, according to Brian, all wanting to be noticed, so that's a lot of competition for a little space. Just have fun.

<p>Lisa,</p><p>No need to be discouraged...sometimes our work touches other in ways you can't directly imagine or even realize. Comments and ratings asides, we all have impact on other by the things we post on photo.net. Some impact of our work is readily visible (by ratings and comments), while others are not. We see that on our Timecatcher website as well, by the mail that we get from our viewers.</p>

<p>A while back you had posted a photograph...I think it was called "Looking from afar" (it is not there anymore). That photograph inspired me to try out something different...step out of box so to speak. Can a Landscape manipulated appropriately to convey the sense or feeling or emotion to the viewer...that would be otherwise lacking from a pure landscape alone? Here is a result of that inspiration: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=484008

Ratings are lossy, the concept doesn't always make sense to everyone and the photos seldom make it to the top of TRP...But I like the process nonetheless. It is different and it is certainly very creative....and certainly heavily influenced by your work. :-))</p>