Contract for headshots?

I shoot mostly weddings. I have done a few headshots even though I

don't advertise for them. Any way, the last one I did the woman had

me do other images for her, some candid interaction with her and the

employees for newsletters and such) I agreed because I it was sort

of un expected. I ended up satying there for 3 hours. I think that

because of the situation I should spell out in a contract exactly

what my services are and more importantly what they are NOT. Is a

contract for a corporate head shot proper protocol? What do you do?

Thanks

Rob

Hi,

I do a fair number of headshots. When the prospective client asks the price,

and they always do, I simply tell them my flat rate for a headshot and what it

includes (the shoot itself, which will last about an hour, two rolls of film

processed and proofed, two different 8X10s--or whatever your package

includes). I then say clearly that if more is wanted, such as full bodies, 3/4's,

standing with a book, or whatever, that I will do the entire shoot, including the

headshot, on an hourly basis, quote my hourly rate with a two hour minimum,

and film and prints will be ala carte. That way, if it goes three hours, good.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Greetings Rob: Your question is a bit confusing to me in that I'm not sure if you're asking us whether you want to charge "the woman" for corporate head shots or whether you're asking about future deals. If it's for someone you already shot for, there's really not much you can do after-the-fact, other than add-on some additional fee for the extra shots with the employees, including a fee for corporate usage. In the future, yes, you should spell out in an assignment confirmation invoice exactly what it is you're being retained to shoot and for how much, including expenses and usaage rights. Such agreements also spell out fees for additional time per hour over the estimated time you believe it will take to complete the work.

The problem you've got is a potential misunderstanding that if you don't handle somewhat delicately, could cost you the good will of the client. When you present the bill with a slight additional fee clearly explained for the additional effort, make sure the client understands how you arrived at the figure and what the original figure was based on. As to "corporate head shots", if I'm retained by a corporate publicist of media rep to photograph an executive, if it's in my studio, it's one fee. If it's on location, it's another fee. When booking the gig, I always ask whether they may want more than one person photographed. If yes, I usually end up quoting a half day rate, and for my larger clients, a half day by and large usually ends up as a full day so I never book two separate corporate shoots in a single day. See what I mean?

Had I been in a similar situation (and I think we probably all have been), I'd have put the brakes on when asked to do additional work to explain how I charge and ask them if it's ok. That completely avoids any misunderstanding later with the "Oh, I thought you were doing the additional work as part of the headshot shoot. Afterall, you were already here." I usually explain that I charge like a restaurant or a plumber...they can order ala carte, a whole meal or hourly plus parts. Take it light. Mark

Thanks for your responses. Sorry that I was unclear in my question I was asking for future times. What is done is done and not that I am disappointed in what I did, it just lends me to think about what I should be doing. I think a contract stating my services and spell out exactly what would be charged for additional work. How do you put a dollar sign on the use of your images?

This last client wanted headsot for her website, newsletters and future book. How would you quote that or ask for addition revenue? Also I guess it would be wise to have some type of limited licincing for my images? any thoughts, Thanks, Rob