Decisive moment by a master in Hong Kong

sai_seto

Saw these photos in the link below (it was posted on a HK

photographic forum). The photographer has been titled as a master in

Hong Kong. From the forum he put up these photos, he seems quite

happy that he has done a great job in capturing a decisive moment.

However, I honestly don't know how to appericate these photos. Just

wondering how do people from the other parts of the world think about

these photos, are they good and I'm only be the odd one that don't

know how to enjoy them?

What interested me the most is that he has even pointed out that

photo by Robert Capa taken on the D day are not pin sharp and blur

due to camear shake, what's important is the concept on image and

photography. But I really think that was a completely different case

between capa and his situation.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/05032805/t2gmqz75i8/

what i mean by the 'master in Hong Kong' is many people here in HK do admit him as one of the very best photographer in HK. He's currently the editor of several photographic magazine in HK (including photographic magazine, DC photo, DIGIT Weekly, etc). And he has very recently interviewed by the DCphoto magazine, HK for the 'Pro Talk' session I believe he has writen at least 1 or 2 books to teach basic photographic skill as well.

I have just finished my study in the UK and start my work in HK for half a year, and when i saw these photo by the 'master', this really disappointed me about the photographic standard in HK. I would strongly doubted if Garry Coward-Williams (editor of the Amateur photographer(AP), UK), Bob Aylott (Features Editor of the AP, UK), Ailsa McWhinnie (editor of the Black and White Photography, UK) or Mike Maloney would put up anything like that to the public??

I'll side with Anupam. I reckon he's a better editor than a 'master of the decisive moment.' Capa was being shelled, risking his bloody life and limb, while this fellow held his shutter release down in a train station while some backpackers hugged. Rubbish, I'm afraid. Even if they were sharp, they wouldn't be interesting.

The fact that they're not sharp makes them... Well... Less than interesting.

IMHO, of course.

These don't seem special to me in any way. Poor composition, and the soft focus/shake don't add anything, either. And like Anupam pointed out: if he's a master of the decisive moment, why 4 of them?

On a side note, don't you find this is so common? A lot of hyped photographers (those acclaimed in the art world, or those charging big money in the commercial field) don't impress. I've come to the conclusion that it's more about how the photos are sold, than the image itself in many cases.

Somehow, sendpix is not jiving with my webbrowser, firewall b.s. so I can't see them. Just as an aside, I was told the blurriness in Capa's D Day photos was not camera shake, was instead caused by the lab tech in England who jacked the drying cabinet up too high in eagerness to get the photos to the editor. Life hid the disaster by blaming it on Capa's camera shake due to nerves. Something like 11 photos were rescued from the meltdown and thus they look like they do. Which, I happen to dig as they are. But wouldn't that be a bad day.. go in on the first wave in Normandy with people getting blown away all around you, risk your life, several times over and then have several rolls of your film, the key footage while still in the water destroyed by an over eager tech. Yikes!

Takaaki Okada

I would strongly agree with you. However, the problem is I can hardly find any other of his photo on the internet. And the only 3 other photos I've seen on his interview is hardly mean anything to me. Perhpas, I should scan these photos and post it up later.

I think his interpretation of decisive moment is.. umm quite different. My understanding was that it is when the scene presents itself in the most visually striking aspect and beautiful arrangement, not this sentimental stuff.

This guy is not doing anything for me. That last img002 is pretty, but not "masterful" - img001 is probably a competent advertisement, but nothing exceptional. In the first 4 images, there's nothing decisive or engaging, in my opinion...more like bad images that someone might describe as masterful to see how many people they can put on. It is possible, of course, that the photog is a master, and I'd agree if I saw more photos. But they wouldn't look anything like this selection.

So Sai, I also "don't know how to appreciate these photos". I just go with my gut.

well.......and I could be completely wrong on this.....but isnt the term "Master" in Chinese basically a teacher? Which would be slightly different than what Western Master means...an expert? Don't really know, just an impression I have. Not saying a teacher can't be an expert, just the cultures may consider a master in a different light.

Anyhow, he's no hack. He's holding a very loose composition solidly together in all of the pics. He knows color schemes....exposure....etc........all the tech stuff is pretty solid. I dont know about his decisive moment claim, but the sequence of those train station blurred pics work as a group. Especially if you let each load into your browser first and replay them rapid fire......looks pretty neat that way ;o)

As far as being a master, I'd have to see even more....none of these whack me over the head................well, maybe the tree/leaf one, the more I look at that, the more impressed I am.

Somebody has got to be able to read that stuff on the boat pic.......Googling Mr. Wu did nothing in finding more stuff.