F6 Matrix Metering with AI/S lenses

steve_yeatts

Regarding the price of the Nikon F6, Nikon must have dropped the price OR B&H is in violation of the MAP price policy!

They list it outright as they'll sell it for $2,049. At Adorama, you have to put it in the cart before they'll lower it. Cameta Camera (which if you don't know, is about 3 miles down the street from Nikon on LI,NY) and J&R will sell for $1,999. One other NYC place will sell for $1,950, but don't know about their reputation, rather I have never bought anything from them like I have from the others!

I'm waiting for the price to fall even more! "Google" the price for a Hong Kong version and you'll see what the real "bottom line" is! I don't do gray market if there is any other way to get an item reasonable, but....

I have been told that the reason the NYC stores have a few in on Monday, none of Wednesday, but are accepting orders, then have them in on Friday/Sunday is because they are afraid of getting caught with more than a few they paid X number of dollars for and now they are "wholesaling" for $300 less. I was told they aren't "price protected" like Nikon digital versions. I guess Bill Cameta could sell one this morning, drive down the street to Nikon and pick up another they could sell tomorrow. Do they let dealers come by and pick stock up?

A little history of the Nikon F5 might be in order. When they first came out, they were IIRC $2,995. A few months later, they were $2,699 or 2,799. Today, they are less than $1,899, if not backordered, like at B&H. I am guessing that the dealers are still marking them up the same, so something dropped! FYI, I didn't pay $2,995, but then again I didn't wait til they were less than $2K.

Wow, this one really has gotten off track.

Robert, FWIW, I'm betting that manufacturers/distributors make different deals with different retailers. They may do so on a case by case or regional basis. That might account for the pricing differences (assuming reliable retailers as you've mentioned, not the bait and switchers who shall remain nameless).

Re the D2H 7 D2Hs

there a lot of newspaper and sports photographers are perfectly happy with those

cameras. it is a perfect fit for those uses. where a very high quality 4Mp camera is just

perfect, especially if it costs less than an 8mp or 12.4Mp camera.

re : Nikon's sales claims for the F6.

Those aren't my claims: I'm just repeating what I've been told. Individual dealers will do

what

they want, hopefully realistically based on the demands on their local market. Nikon

clearly thinks there is a large enough market for the F6 and that is why they are making it.

What they consider to be the size of that market e I have no idea, but a lot of people

and organizations still use film and don't want 10 year old metering and AF technology.