50mm lens for a Rebel Ti

michael_walter1

I got an old (1976) Nikon with a 50mm lens. The pictures it takes are

far superior to my rebel Ti with the "kit" 28-90mm lens. And the

Nikon is completely manual. The Nikon people suggest I get a good

50mm fixed lens for the Rebel. Makes sense to me. Does anyone have a

favorite lens, or vendor to buy from?

I am kind of confused by your question so I excuse me if I am off base.

Go out and buy a 50mm/F1.8 from any of the vendors listed on this site like B&W or Adorama. The lens should be in the $70 range and will perform very well. I expect your new 50mm to be at least 1% better :) than the nikon lens that you refer too.

<p>The 50/1.8 offers the best bang for the buck of any lens in Canon's lineup. It's dirt cheap, and way better than your kit lens.</p>

<p>If you feel like spending more, get the 50/2.5 macro if you plan on doing macro work, or the 50/1.4 otherwise.</p>

<p>Buy from a reputable vendor. Other than B&H and Adorama, most mail-order vendors whose ads fill the pages of Popular Photography are not reputable, as the Neighbor to Neighbor section of this site will attest. Or help keep your local dealer in business by buying there.</p>

The canon 50mm 1.8 is a great little lens for the money and it will really blow your kit zoom out of the water. You should get a similar wow like when you used that you used that old nikon. Primes are usualy much better than zooms and will be much better than kit zooms. There are of course high quality zooms available but these are much more expensive than the 50mm lens.

I suspect as well that you gained a lot of pleasure using and seeing the results from that manual Nikon and that may have also helped the wow factor just a little you may well find that you prefere the manual camera because you feel like you are achieving more with it. You may like to get yourself another manual lens for that Nikon while you are at it and enjoy that manual body.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...