Anyone shooting large format over Christmas?

tom_smith15

Always shooting 4x5. I'll be shooting Tahitian sun-drenched beaches....mmmm. Ok, I will NOT be shooting Tahitian sun-drenched beaches...not this year! How about this instead?? I will be shooting public and religious architectural locales in the northern metro areas of Atlanta, GA? Now that sounds exciting, no!

Actually, I'm still trying to learn the 4x5 and in the process of developing a portfolio. By the way, if anyone has suggestions for places (fairly safe) in Atlanta to practice arch. photog, please suggest. I have been "run off from" or told "no photography" at several commercial sites on the north side of Atlanta.

The best thing about the National Parks is that you can pretty much shoot whatever the hell you want - within reason - without worry about unfriendly types wandering up and asking you "just what the hell do you think you're doing?" And, by the way, "Well, I'm just taking a few photos of your women folk bathing in the creek" just doesn't seem to cut it. But this really isn't the time of year in the southeastern US to be photographing nature and landscapes anyway - at least not in the N.GA areas. Something happens with the light - it becomes very harsh and more specular. It is pure ugly. Very harsh - hard to keep your eyes focused. Perhaps the problem is the city and all the pollutants? Anyway, where are you shooting?

The peristyle at Millennium Park in Chicago has colorful light on the columns. I've made some exposures (Astia, Quickload) and may go back depending on the result. The large tree in Daley Plaza is a nice scene, I'd like to try a shot with the light 'columns' where the fountain is with a view of the lighted tree behind. Happy Holidays to all.

I sure hope so. At the moment our pine trees are covered in snow and we have about 6 inches on the ground. So all the grey and brown farmer's fields are nicely buried. When the wind comes it will wreck everything and we are supposed to get warm temperatures again before long. Not getting many blue skies recently though. I'm one hour north of Toronto, Ontario. I must say its pretty difficult to fit photography in when we only have 8-9 hours of daylight. In a few days that will only get better!

Enjoy Charleston while you're here, Bob. The city proper is fairly small and you can cover a lot of ground of foot. If I see someone with an interesting camera standing out in the street I'll be sure to wave (unless the light is green and you're in my way!).

I'm hoping to develope the 4x5 I shot over Thanksgiving. Spent a couple of hours in the early morning shooting in 2 feet of snow and fog (Do you call a cloud that hits the top of the mountain at 10,600 feet fog?) After 10 sheets, my fingers were so cold I couldn't change the lens settings. People who think New Mexico is a hot desert haven't been in the high country.

Brian (Albuquerque, NM)

A family portrait. And interiors and exteriors of my company's various office buildings, for a web-based virtual campus tour for new employees. These could be shot with a 640x480 digital camera, but I'll be adding them to my 4x5 architectural portfolio. And maybe a quick run down to Savannah GA to visit a large format buddy, so I'll take the camera with. (I'm in Raleigh NC.)

Portraits of my son's 8th grade class for a limited-edition book of real prints. 20 copies, 18 students plus teacher, prints of portraits (4x5) and family photographs of each family (35mm). So, 2 prints per student, 20 copies of the book, 18 students plus teacher... I'll let you do the math. Insanity strikes again!

"By the way, if anyone has suggestions for places (fairly safe) in Atlanta to practice arch. photog, please suggest. I have been "run off from" or told "no photography" at several commercial sites on the north side of Atlanta."

Robert, I'm from upstate SC orginally, so I go back on an annual basis to visit relatives, and always go through Atlanta. I would recommend getting out of Atlanta to a smaller town. For instance, a couple of years ago I stopped in Madison GA, less than an hour east of Atlanta, historcal town with tons of old buildings. In my experience, you'll always have some 80 year old guy walk buy that was born two hundred yards away and will tell you the story of the building. Of course you won't have the big modern skyscrapers of Atlanta...but then again you won't have to worrry about getting mugged either.

Great to see the diversity of interests too - kids, landscapes and portfolio work. I'm sure you won't mind if I come back in the New Year and say "giz a look at wot you shot" ;)

I'm hoping for snow where I live but that's unlikely and I'm not in Canada this Christmas either ;(

I'll be envying those of you who have gorgeous winter light whilst I fumble around with ISO 25, 100, 125, 400 and Polaroid 3000 ISO film not knowing which way the light turns until the morning. I've packed loads of black and white film and forgotten all about colour film. I'll be keen to try some landscapes instead of architecture unless it is really early in the morning.

Good luck! And Happy Christmas!

For something interesting other than architectural photography in Atlanta, may I suggest going to the Botanical Garden and shooting the Chilhuly exhibit there? I took my 4x5 there in October and managed to get some shots on Velvia that I'm very pleased with. It should be a LOT less crowded now and is just a very unique exhibit.

They say that they don't allow tripods in the conservatory, but I asked a docent and they let me got in part of it as long as I didn't block other people's enjoyment of the exhibit. There is a lot to see/photograph inside and out.

Even if you don't take a LF camera, it's worth seeing.

I have 50 sheets of 8X10 and 14 7X11 loaded and built 5 extra lens boards for the Kodak Improved #2. I asked permission to shoot the Great Organ at First Congregational Church Los Angeles but was denied. Anybody know those folks? I'll likely stop and shoot whenever the whim directs. I'll be taking my daughter back to Coos Bay Oregon after Christmas and don't have to be back at work until Jan 4