"found Plenachrome" recommended processing?

kw

I just bought a nifty Isolette folder camera on ebay. Lo, it was

loaded with film, ~10 exposures! I've carefully unloaded the roll;

it reads "Plenachrome" which I've found a little bit of information

on here at photo.net. However, I'm curious as to what exactly you

would recommend for processing. I can handle any detailed D-76 type

processing myself, if you give me specifics. Otherwise any other

info on this stuff (and what to tell the lab) would be appreciated.

I'll be happy to post any interesting images here if something turns

up!

I'd recommend using HC-110 or similar low-fog developer. Plenachrome was a black and white film, ASA 50 or so before the change (it would be ISO 100 if it were still made now). As John suggested, it most likely would go 17 minutes in D-76 stock solution; a comparable time would be about 11 minutes in HC-110 Dilution B. And by today's standards, that's a LOT of development; modern Tri-X 400 takes less than seven minutes in Dilution B, even if you don't believe the huge change in Kodak's literature after the emulsion coating change. However, that's a time that has been reported to work well for old film here previously.

Whatever you do, *don't* develop old found film in Diafine -- Diafine will increase the fog, rather than restrain it, and leave you with film on which you can barely make out an image, if at all. Been there, done that...

BTW, those Isolettes are really fun cameras. Mine is one of my favorite cameras for casual street shooting.

I'd like to make my Isolette an all-Agfa camera but, unfortunately, I don't care for the new APX 400 in Rodinal. My best results have come from Tri-X in HC-110.

Agfa and Ilford paper backing marks are very easy to read through that ruby red window. Tri-X is the worst - tiny, thin. Very aggravating.

Most of them need some fixing up by now. The problems are pretty much the same with all the Agfa folders: pinholes in the edges of the bellows; green grease in the focusing helical that has by now dried into one of the world's most tenacious adhesives; gummy lubricant in the shutter, resulting in a sluggish or jammed mechanism. Read up on these cameras in the archives of the Classic Cameras Forum here.

Great help, thank you very much. I'll go with D76 for a good long bath ;)

As this Isolette goes, yes, I love it! Unfortunately I'm having to go through the standard breakdown to clean and lubricate the mechanics. Having a bear of a time getting the first and second lens elements apart.

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair/frozenfix.html

Must... keep.... trying....