Best place to sell used?

janusz_mrozek

I am interested in selling some used equipment (basic 35mm stuff) and

would like to hear about the relative merits of photo.net, ebay,

fredmiranda, and any other relevant outlet for such sales. I am not

interested in KEH or other dealers as I would like to sell direct.

With eBay, you're always going for the lowest bidder. Might work in your favor, might not. Some buyers believe payment is optional. That is, even if they win the auction, if they decide not to pay for it, they don't.

I've heard this from a couple of people who have said, "I haven't decided if I'm going to pay for it." Even though it's a binding contract.

Oh photo.net, you can set your price. And you're selling to a community, though it's always possible that scammers read the classifieds here with the sole intent of ripping you off.

But that's true of eBay.

You can require payment first, which helps lower the risk on your part. And because you've been a photo.net member for a couple of years, that works in your favor. I think people feel more comfortable buying from a long-term member than a novice.

In all likelihood, a novice is honest, but a few reports of scams being perpetrated by sellers who create accounts with the goal of separating you from your money has spoiled things. Isn't that true of society, however, in which the 2% of the scum taints the 98% of the honest.

If your goal is to get the most possible money for your stuff, there is no better way than putting it on eBay. The fees are very modest, and eBay is a seller friendly place. It is customary for you to get your money first before you ship the goods. Personally, I list everything starting at $1 without a reserve price - people love bidding on those auctions, and they often go highter that if you start at a higher price. I also have no trouble sending my stuff to any country under the sun - as long as I get my money first! Upload good photos of your stuff, give a good description, and stand by what you say. Guess which statement instills more trust in a potential buyer:

1. 'If you find this item not to be as described, feel free to return it for a full refund including your postage costs.'

2. 'Found it in the attic, worked when I last used it in 1995, not sure if all parts are still there. Sold as is.'

Of course if you really don't know if all parts are still there, you should be honest, but it might pay to double check before you list it ;-)

Ditto on ebay. It is the most convenient, secure means of selling

anything to anybody at anytime.

I have sold and bought a lot of camera gear for several years,

and I've yet to have one sour deal.

I've found that most people interested in this type of

merchandise are knowledgeable and honest.

And note Vivek's comment: offer to ship worldwide, and you've

vastly increased your customer base.

Good luck.

Ebay is great for selling camera gear, which is always a hot seller. I recently listed a few camera items, and offered a buy-it-now on all of them, and all three were sold within an HOUR of listing them.

No matter where you decide to sell, the key is to take NICE PICTURES of everything. Place them on a white background and make sure they are all in focus. Photograph all items from multiple angles. Having good looking pictures is the key difference between a good listing and a great listing. Good luck!

Frank Mueller said: "If you find this item not to be as described, feel free to return it for a full refund including your postal costs."

Frank, I'm going to be listing some photography equipment on eBay someday soon, and I probably will give a "full refund if you find it not as described," but doesn't a guarantee that includes a refund of all shipping costs invite purchases from people who just want to take your equipment "out for a test drive," but are not serious about completing the purchase? I would really be interested in your experiences, and those of anyone else who wants to chime in. I've done a lot of buying on eBay, but no selling as yet.

You will sell better on ebay though if you already have a track record. People with "0" feedback are suspect by buyers so I would recommend selling your cheap stuff first, build up some positive reviews and THEN sell your more expensive stuff.

Paypal is offered here in Germany. As far as I know it'll cost your (the sellers) money. It seems very buyer friendly and safe. My favourite moonshine dealer accepts paypal only from foreigners (for reasons above). Here in Germany it's common use to pay small sums (75 Euro? - I'm poor and reluctant) via bank transfer. Offer your stuff and tell people "shipping overseas might be expensive". If the gear is sold you'll hear how they wish to save a few cents on money transfer and shipping costs.

ebay isn't always the way. Unluckily there are no reserve prices in Germany, so sometimes it 's good to have friends ready to bid a moderate price, pay ebay if they win and keep your gear. Well the question is always why do you want to sell. Some items seem made for ebay, like LF and similar gear for rather ambitious photographers, which is cheaper at shops than there, others like cheap consumer lenses aren't very successful and maybe a shop could gain more. - I'm a buyer, no dealer so I don't know much.

RE: Tom Holum , mar 08, 2005; 05:58 p.m.

Frank Mueller said: "If you find this item not to be as described, feel free to return it for a

full refund including your postal costs."

Hey there! I have bought a good amount of gear through eBay and am just now starting to

sell

some of it. I agree that as the seller, one has a little less risk in the transaction because

one SHOULD NEVER SHIP UNTIL PAID!!!!! With that said, one should always remember (as a

buyer!) that the dumbest question is the one you didn't ask!!! <P>

I have purchased quite a few items and always walked away happy.... until I bought the

Nikonos!!!!! I looked at the pictures, I read the description, I looked at the pictures again,

and I read the description again.... But what did I not do? I DID NOT ASK POINT-BLANK,

"Does the camera still function UNDER water?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" ALWAYS ASK THE QUESTIONS?????