Plug-Ins and Filters in Photoshop CS

Hi,

I noticed that in PS CS, in the Filter/Plugins menus, only a few

filters are actually enable in the 16-bit mode/functionality. If I

want to use more plugins/filters, is there anyway to keep the 16b-

mode intact while able to access the plugins? Otherwise, I have to

convert 16b -> 8b, then convert back to 16b after I have done using

the plugins/filters. Converting from 16b -> 8b will definitely make

the image not a high-bit image anymore. Thanks.

Thanks for the pointer. It's helpful.

The procedures that were shown there still require to jump back and forth b/w 16b and 8b from the same image. I think it may be better if we can copy the image into a diff dup file, modify this dup file using 8b feature, then copy the adjustment layers from this dup file to the original 16b file. I don't know, and I have to try to see how it works.

One thing that the reason I am asking about this issue is that the Nik Sharpener works only with the 8b mode. With the sharpening, I don't think the techiques shown by Ian Lyons (or what I stated above) would apply though.

Anybody has any better idea or pointer?

Many thanks.

That which you can do in 16-bit mode, do. That which you cannot, do on a copy of the 16-bit file.

You can do the same thing as 8-bit filters using Levels or Curves, but not as simply. The new "shadows" tool is very useful, but is sort of a sledgehammer. It's so easy to use, just apply it to an 8-bit copy of the master file. Sharpening should be done as the last step before printing, on a file copy sized to that print.

Tien, the methods on that page I supplied the link for will allow you to do many things in Photoshop (pre-CS) on 16 bit images that you wouldn't be able to do normally. Yes, it's extra work. But I guess only you can decide if it's worth it for any given image.

If all you're worrying about is sharpening, that should be the last step you do anyway, whether for print or display. Once you've finished all your edits, convert the image to 8 bit and sharpen it. You won't see a loss in quality by doing so. As long as you've finished all your other editing before converting to 8 bit. And whatever printer you're using will be an 8 bit device as well, so again you're losing nothing.

Thanks guys. At this point, I think I will pursue the last resort, also pointed out by Frank Dzambic. I think as far as sharpening goes, there is almost nothing I can do without going to 8b mode in PS CS. Thank you all. You guys are very helpful nontheless. There were good discussions indeed.

tien pham.