Different kinds of printing for consumers.

I was just curious as to some different kinds of printers and what

their strengths and weeknesses are. I know there is regular, dye,

dye-sub, pigment, i think i have heard of even something like

electrostatic printing, what are the choises a consumer has these

days, what are they about, and what benefits and drawbacks to each of

these. Just wondering what you guys have to say about these different

kinds. Also as a side note, how badly run down can printers get? is

buying a demo model of unknown usage a wise idea? all input is very

appreciated! thanks in advance guys!

-Kyle

You have to do your homework to find what's right for you!

The most common printers for home use are ink jets. Dye-based inks have a somewhat better color range, but pigment-based inks are more consistent between paper surfaces (less absorption) and much more resistant to fading. There's a wide choice of paper, surfaces and sizes.

Color laserjets could be considered electrostatic printers. The printers are expensive but the materials are only about 1/10 that of an inkjet. Laserjets are good for volume work, brochures, covers and the like, but produce low quality images compared to inkjets.

Dye-sub printers are the most "photographic" in appearance, especially for flesh tones. Longevity is comparable to wet-process prints. You have only one choice for paper and size. There's no ink to dry out, unlike inkjets which tend to clog after periods of disuse.

Printers are cheap (relatively), and used printers highly suspect. Over time, you'll spend many times the cost of the printer in ink and supplies, so why take a chance?

I agree with Edward. I've seen lots of color laser prints at work. Even offset looks better. The worst is: a unclogged inkjet works always fine, but the lasers seem to need maintenance and spareparts. Homeprinting is expensive anyhow. I myself'll try to avoid it.