somewhere that with the 3001 <i>the center column can be inverted to

get really close to the ground or inserted horizontally for vertical

frame shots.</i> Do all of the variants (B&H lists N, D and Pro,

each with a B(black?) version) have these features? They sound

really cool, are they usable in practice?<p>

Any comments on the usabiltiy issues with these tripods would be

helpful. How easy are they to set up and adjust? I don't have a car

and so weight is a factor - any lighter tripods you can recommend

that fits my requirements? Finally, head recommendations.

<p>

The heaviest equipment that will go on it is N80 plus 75-300 zoom

and maybe the Nikkor 180mm/2.8 + 1.4 teleconverter in the future.

<p>

Thanks for any advice. I will now go back to cursing at the weather

with my thumb in ice water.

<p>

-A

I have a 3001BPRO with a ProBall 308 ball head mounted on top. In practice I have found

this combination to be light enough for hiking, and stable enough for a 35mm SLR with a

macro lens.

The removable center column is great. It allows you to get down very low to the ground,

and is quite quick to remove and replace.

I don't think it can be bettered if you are on a budget. Watch you hands on the quick

release levers though !

Richard

I have the Bogen 3001 (Manfrotto 190B) and I never felt it got in the way of my macrophotography. The heaviest load I've ever put on this triopd is FM3A, 200mm AF Micro + 50/1.8 reversed + PN-11, SB-50dx + SC-17 + bracket, PG-2 slider. It handles such load quite gracefully. I'd highly recommend it.

<P>

FYI, Manfrotto has replaced the old aluminium version (one I have) with a magnesium+carbon fiber version.<P>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353682&is=REG">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353682&is=REG</a><P>

Sad to hear about the fall. "I hope no bones are broken?" ... (Alice to Black Knight, Alice In Wonderland)

> are they usable in practice?

Inverting the center column for low-angle shots is not practical unless you're the size of a pygmy. I replaced the center column with the low angle adaper that comes with it so that I can drop flat to ground level.

I use my 3001 if I am shooting macro while hiking long distances or strenuous terrain. I take the center column out, put a 488rc2 head on and it is very light. I try not to use it with the legs extended any more than necesary, but it is very flexible and easy to manipulate in that configuration. The nice added extra is that since it is my least expensive tripod, I don't ever worry about it and that can be freeing. One thing I will recommend is that you wrap the legs with pipe insulation, padded tape, or actual tripod leg wraps. It will be much more comfortable to carry.

Hi Anupam,

I shot macro for many years with the old style 3001 (actually the black version). However my macro work was done with the help of a Bogan Superclamp attached to the leg and the threaded stud so I could move my ballhead from the top of the tripod to the clamp. It was a lovely setup. The only disadvantage was the clamp would occasionally bump me while hiking. It was super-stable and I used the setup even with full extension on a 100mm macro lens. The only reason I switched to another system is that I also shoot medium format (Pentax 67) which the system couldn't handle.

A lovely, solid and cheap setup.

I use the Digi 719B? (discontinued) Bogen with my Rebel TI

with lenses up to 75-300mm with no problems. It does not do

ground level work, so that may be an issue. My column does

remove and will go in backwards, but using any tripod this

way is tough to do..The newer DIGI models are taller and

sturdier. I modified my old 3001 with a file to get it to

go to ground level and replaced the center column with a

short one for macro and that did work well. Now I use longer

lenses for macro shots and dont have to get as low to the

ground, so my tripod works for me. If you want a good tripod

Bogen Pro 3021 with the horizontal column will do all kinds

of macro positioning, but its outside your budget..I say spend

a little more on the tripod than what you think. It will last

you thru many cameras. Funny people dont want to spend $200 on

a tripod that will last them 20 years but will drop $3000 on

a new digital SLR every 2 years...

My wife has the 3001BPro and 3030 head, likes them very much for macro. It's a good size for carrying, and robust enough for her F100 with 70-300 zoom, but for really big glass the legs are a little light and the head definitely too light and too small. Setup with the horizontal column can take a little trial and error for balance and angle, but between leg positions and column positions you can do just about anything, and it doesn't get in the way of normal use. Bogen 3001 and 3021 tripods with "pro" in the model designation have the horizontal column feature, those without do not, but are otherwise similar, which means you can still invert the column, use the insert in place of the column, and spread the legs independently right down to flat on the ground. They're nicely made.

A good tripod is tough on a $100 budget. The 3001 is a good legset, and if you couple that with a 3030 head or one of their medium ballheads it will be reasonably solid. I'd recommend a 3021 legset, but that will bust your budget and it's a bit heavier than the 3001. I personally use a 3021 with 3030 head for up to 300mm + 2X extender, plus 4x5 cameras (both lightweight field camera and heavy monorail.) The legset is plenty, the 3030 head is adequate for what I use but not overkill.

My Xmas was a Manfrotto 3011 w/ 3030 three way head. I think it's a good compormise between the 3001 and the 3021 (I 'spect that's why they call it the 3011). It actually comes in two flavors. The legs on the older version set to only one angle. On the newer version, they independantly set at three angles (four, if you count 90 degrees from vertical). Mine cost 118 at my downtown camera store. the head was about 70. A bit more than B&H, but well worth the price.